Bargain Hunter...

I look at many things for what they are, and how they can be placed in a room so as to best showcase their beauty. I enjoy finding inspiration in nature and I admire all the beautiful things offered up by the retail world. But, I am also a pretty "average" person, with a pretty average budget. I can appreciate those who advise, "Only buy quality pieces" or... "You can't live without it!" or... "Live without the item, until you can buy the very best." But I don't always agree with them. I feel such advice is fine and good if the following criteria are met:
a) you can afford the "quality" version
b) you have access to the antique or vintage, authentic pieces; and
c) you place value in, or have a budget that allows you to direct a fair chunk of your household budget to items that serve a decorative or aesthetic purpose only.

I love how, in the blogging world, "shopping" at yard sales and thrift shops is valued as a great way to acquire objects of beauty for our homes. I so agree!! There is nothing like the feeling of finding a much-loved object that is now being offered for sale for somobody else to love. I have also read, with interest, other's proclamations that "regular stores" like Walmart, Target, even Pottery Barn are not manufactured with quality or longevity in mind...that you are really only wasting your money. Thus, you should hold out for the best and view an expensive purchase as "an investment in your home".

I agree to an extent, but I can't help but think that it is a bit of a high brow attitude to take. I work with clients who have a broad range of budgets. I sometimes joke that I can spend "as much as someone wants", and the outcome will be one of quality, style, and satisfaction for all concerned. However, I also firmly believe a top notch look can be achieved on a tighter budget. I never bypass any "class" of retail store in my pursuit of a great decor look, and I believe I have mastered the art of getting the look for less. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt, bargain hunting that is. I make this my focus, because I believe that most people decorate their homes on a fixed budget. I always lead my clients to the best possible price point when making their purchases, and they can then decide if they want to invest in the high end version or take the lower priced option, with the opportunity for upgrading when they have a larger budget. I can honestly say that clients like my approach. It is as though they appreciate being given the "permission" to settle for the less expensive option, with no pressure from me to "do it right". Obviously, most people would love to have only the best in their homes. However, that is just not an option for most homeowners. For many people, family needs come first; and I have found that most people value taking a vacation with family, or on a more fundamental level, just keeping on top of their household expenses, over purchasing an investment piece for their homes.

In essence, most people spend more time thinking of, and spending time with their families than they do decorating their homes, and budget accordingly. I say, no one option (high end or budget decorating) is "better" than the other. Do what you can afford and be proud of the outcome. Realistically, if it looks good... it looks good! It's as simple as that!! Enjoy your home, but don't shop yourself into the position of being "house poor". You will often get more satisfaction accessorizing your home on a budget, and you will certainly feel more creative!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...