Treasure hunting, crafting and making memories...

photo: Better Homes and Gardens
I had a thoroughly great weekend! My Mum and Dad came to visit from New Brunswick and we packed as much fun and activity into two days as we possibly could. We had intended to go to Memory Lane Heritage Village, which is an interpretive village set in the 40's and 50's (vintage heaven!), but the men in our lives seemed a tad resistant. We could have gone on our own, but then I remembered that the village opens for the weekend of my birthday and celebrates a "vintage Christmas" which I think would be heavenly, so we decided to put off our trip until then (a sneaky way to get them to come back down in November). Surely no one will be able to whine about going, when it's for my birthday...??!! After all, maybe the village heard it's my birthday that weekend, and knowing my penchant for all things vintage and Christmas, decided to open for me!! You never know!!! Anything's possible...

Mum and I decided to get out of the house Saturday afternoon anyway (rainy day...kids driving us crazy!!). We headed out to some vintage stores and boy, did we score!! We were in one shop, and Mum happened to get ahead of me in the aisle (using a rather sneaky manoeuver I might add), and spotted the most beautiful arm chair: curvy, wooden arms with a lovely scrolled design, great legs, sturdy, and really only requiring new upholstery. And for $35 at that!!! Ohhhh...the pain of watching her discover it first! It would have been perfect for my "new" bedroom!! I sulked a bit (only half-jokingly...don't worry...she wasn't giving it up!!) and tried to console myself by finding a similar consolation prize. I scored a few treasures and even found a great wooden kitchen chair (see left) in a lovely, aqua blue, but she was definitely the winner of that round!





Off we went to another great spot where I was triumphant in finding wonderful things I didn't even know I wanted! I picked up a great stool for my island in a cooking-apple green, a wooden rake (where I will finally hang my beloved apron collection from), and some other decorative pieces...all vintage and all fun!















On Sunday, we did our seasonal craft (we always do a craft with Sophie...she expects it now!!). We got out the glitter and had a blast! Mum made a glittered Hallowe'en house, Sophie did as well, and I made a glittered box. I was inspired by Laurie, the Glitter Fairy's beautiful glittered creations, and although our creations don't quite measure up to her level of talent, I think we did a pretty good job...especially Sophie. My kitchen is dusted with glitter, I still have it sticking to my fingers, but we made not only pretty seasonal crafts, but memories to be cherished forever. Thanks Mum...

my glittered creation!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...