Plain Linda Jane...

Well, I have been tagged by one of my very first blog friends, so out of sheer loyalty, I have decided to play along. Chris tells me I have to take my middle name, Jane, and tell you something oh, so interesting about me. Well, as I live up to my middle name, there's not a whole lot that's too mind-bending about me. So, I thought I'd put a twist on the game and instead use the letters to tell you how fashion-compromised I am.

J...is for jeans...jeans and a top...that is my "uniform" when I'm not working. I wear jeans and some sort of top practically every day in the fall and winter. I used to love to wear skirts and dresses (and I do wear them all the time in the summer), but I hate pantyhose, and tights are so hard to coordinate with shoes. Like if you have a tan skirt on, what colour tights should you wear? What about denim skirts...what do you pair with those? I have the fear of looking too nineties by matching tights to sweaters...and I always seem to find tights that worm their way down so I have to walk like a duck until I either find hidden spot to yank them up or shed all dignity and try to do it in full view. Always an attractive impression to give...

A...is for arms. I hate showing them. I am not one of those lucky people who have that great toned look to their arms. No, the only person who would covet my arms is perhaps a baby in need of a good nap!! Indeed, my arms are great for rocking babies, but sleeveless dresses...never gonna happen. I am also a bit of a prude. Even if I had a bikini body, you'd never see one on me. I like the proper coverage and I always liken wearing a bikini to walking around in your underwear in front of people. Okay for those who are unhibited, but for a girl whose mother never changed so much as a blouse in front of her, it is way too much exposure!!
For those of you who can pull one off...kudos to you. I'll be the one on the beach with her "mother" bathing suit with a "respectable" little skirt attached!! See what I mean about plain...??

N... is for no makeup. I am guilty of committing this cardinal sin from time to time. I have never been much of a make-up girl. I was never one to experiment with different colours for day and night. I remember once, when I was eighteen or so, my sister decided to "do" my make-up for me as we were going out to celebrate my mum's birthday. She applied foundation, eye shadow, mascara, a darker lipstick (darker than nude...), and styled my hair with one of those thingies...oh yeah, a curling iron ( I have naturally curly hair)! Well, just to clarify, she is a make-up girl and is actually really good at it. That said, when she finally revealed to me my new look...I literally recoiled!! Who was that?? My eyelashes looked like spiders (I do have long ones to start with) and with the lipstick and the extras like foundation, I felt like I looked like a trollop!! My mum and sister were gushing and I was trying to fight a burning instinct to immediately wash it all off!! Not wanting to be too much of a brat (and I couldn't really have looked inappropriate or my mum wouldn't have liked it) I kept it on...all the while my skin felt like it was crawling.
Luckily, I met and married a wonderful man who told me I was "a nature" (he knew a french fellow who used to describe his own wife that way...a translation thing...) and declared he didn't care for women who wore a lot of make-up. Fast forward to now, and this "nature" is really needing her make-up (dark circles, freckles, wrinkled eyes, etc. etc.). What bittersweet irony: the girl who only ever used the bare minimum, now has to call in the cavalry just to turn back the clock a few seconds. I still do slip out more than I should without any on. Years of my mum pleading me to "play up my eyes" have fallen on deaf ears. I always send up a quick prayer that I won't run into any glam people I know when I go out au naturel. Of course, I always do...and I mutter under my breath and vow to take the time in the future. Oh and by the way, I think I have lost my makeup bag!! I had to go to the school today (first day and all) with a naked face. And, of course, I saw EVERYONE I know!!!!
E...is for earrings and accessories. While I am an accessory queen with regards to home decor, on my person...not so much! I love costume jewellry and will often pick up a few (cheap) pieces here and there. The problem is in the delivery. First, my ear holes (that sounds a tad obscene doesn't it?) have been closing over the last while. So, when I put a nice pair in, they get sore after about five minutes. No matter, I persevere and keep them in, all the while totally aware of them...sore, uncomfortable, irritating me (kind of like my saggy tights). I also tend to feel conspicuous when I wear more accessories than normal. I always wear a silver ring on my index finger of my right hand, my watch, and a wooden beaded bracelet...oh yeah, and my wedding ring (unless I'm going out to the clubs...JUST KIDDING!!). That's the extent of souping things up on a normal day, so it's no wonder I feel "over the top" when I accessorize more! My friend Krissy is the accessory queen (fashion wise). She tosses a scarf over her shoulder, wears great belts, necklaces, rings, and immediately appears stylish. She does it so effortlessly and she is always encouraging me to do it as well. I give it a try from time to time, but I don't work it the same way!!

Although I joke about my plain jane ways, I love my middle name. I am named after my mum, who I adore, and my beloved Auntie Jean who helped raise my mum after her own mother died when she was only a toddler. I am honoured to have their name and I passed it on to my little Sophie, who by the way, has absolutely no plain jane tencencies at all!! Hello future fashionista!!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...