Can your television be art??


photo source: www.auton.com

photo: www.hgtv.com

Sure...I guess so...mm hmm...if you say so...Can you sense my hesitancy?? Indeed, televisions have invaded our living spaces since their invention, but after a respectable run on concealing them, we are now being encouraged to put them on display...be proud of them...in a sense, let them take center stage! I, for one, tend to have a bit of a problem with that. The current thinking, that it is just as attractive to hang a huge plasma t.v. above a beautiful fireplace, doesn't quite sit well with me. I do confess however, to having suggested it as an option to clients for whom watching television is the major focus in the room. For many things I live by the mantra: It is what it is- however,there is certainly no making a television pretty. Sure, they have definitely upped their cool factor, and a high end/expensive plasma baby will certainly impress some folks, but ultimately I still call for the concealing of the "black hole" in an armoire or the like.

...But is the armoire being relegated to "passe"?

In my family, we definitely watch t.v., however, it is not a huge part of our lives. We are just as likely to use our main living area to read the newspaper, play a game, watch an impromptu "concert" or just hang out. The t.v. is not always on, and when not in use, it is tidily tucked away in a small armoire my husband built for me. Out of sight...out of mind.

Perhaps the funniest description I have heard for the new "plasma wonders" is sexy. What?? There are those in the design field who like to throw that word around to be chic and hip. I call it decorating jargon..."sexy plasma screen t.v."..."a punch of color"..."the table provided visual weight", etc. etc. Every industry has their lingo, but I've never personally gotten a sexy vibe off a piece of furniture!! Have you??


I think the reasons for the trend towards showcasing one's high-end television can range from simple practicality to the desire to elevate their sleek televisions to the rank of status symbol. In other words, you show your goods because it's just not practical to hide them, or because you want others to see your "silky bits".


Either way, the choice is yours. Personally, I'll continue to hide my basic, functional televisions and steer clear of this trend. Call me old-fashioned if you will, but somethings just can't compete with the more traditionally displayed mantel adornments...a beautiful mirror or a great piece of artwork. In this case, I'm taking sides with the armoire!!



This, to me, is plasma placement done very well!!

Open:closed!

(photo: www.southernliving.com )

Other happier, if not pricier, compromises to conceal one's plasma t.v. at the flick of a button are shown below. Two great websites to view the possibilities include: http://www.vutec.com/ and http://www.auton.com/

The sliding artwork option:


photo: www.auton.com

The flip-down screen option...albeit quite techie looking:

...again, the sliding artwork...get posing girls!!

above two photos: www.auton.com

In addition, Hooker Furniture, which specializes in home entertainment units, states on its website that it is "...offering several new styles for plasma TV owners. The most expensive units offer the pop-up option. Others are consoles with brackets on the top to affix to the television. And larger wall units feature a wide, shallow central area for the skinny TVs."

photo: Hooker Furniture

What is your opinion...hide it or flaunt it??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...