In the Kitchen...with Matthew Mead (part four of our collaborative series)

Well, you must have known a man of his many talents just had to be good in the kitchen, too...!!! Yep, Matthew Mead can design, decorate, style, write, produce...and cook!! Matthew is back this week to get all you foodies (and wanna-be foodies, like me..) all fired up and ready to start clanging pots and adding spices to your winter meal plans. I've spoken before of his qualifications as a dream husband, and to prove the point: Matthew Mead cooks... for his wife... almost every night!!! Go ahead...do it...be part of the collective sigh being heaved by women all throughout blog land...!!!




He Said: YUM... TRY SOMETHING NEW

I love to cook. It is really an integral part of my lifestyle and the colors, textures and style of food are as important to me as the welcoming new paint color for the front hall and the perfect bedside table lamp for the guest room. In fact, food and its preparation is paramount and engaging to me because it occurs daily... several times a day, and I try to savour every aspect of the experience. Now like everything in one's life, creating food can become mundane and utilitarian and I, too, am likely to fall into a slump of repetitive dishes and leftovers. I know when my kids lived at home, I would prepare a plethora of meals on Sunday afternoon... pot pies, chicken and broccoli divan, American chop suey... all light on the garlic and short on onions (little ones don't always love the savoury flavors imbibed by the allium family of vegetables). Nevertheless, my family was well-nourished by typical comfort foods and when they return home for visits, it is these dishes that they most request.


Sauteed and seasoned, rice and beef steamed in a cabbage leaf is as close to the ultimate comfort food that you can find... (photo: Quentin Bacon)

(clockwise from top left): Fresh produce and simple flavours lead the way: Bacon and kale stir-fry is a delicious meal as a side dish or on its own; pita pockets stuffed with chicken salad, almonds, and fresh greens with a splash of seasoned rice wine vinegar; seasoned, ground turkey rolled into grocery store pizza dough is excellent with a simple salad; steamed edamame is an excellent snack anytime.
(photos: Quentin Bacon)


Today I cook for Jenny and myself, occasional groups of friends and family, and quite often my team at the studio. My office environment is like a lab for lifestyle ideas and while we are often crafting, painting and decorating, we also spend a fair amount of time creating and testing recipes. I'm inspired by many things... a trip to the market is always a good "pick-me-up" and I am of course "moved" by seasonal themes and produce. Lately, however, it is actual cooking vessels and serving plates that really inspire me to make something new and different... or at least a variation with a twist. My new book titled ENTERTAINING SIMPLE due out this coming October, is filled with the simplest ways to prepare oneself for any gathering... at any time. I can't wait to share it because I believe it is perhaps the most detailed picture book of how to entertain and what to prepare with easy ingredients found at your local grocery store. It also focuses on the nuts and bolts of presentation... how to serve and arrange food in the most pleasing of ways. So, whether you roast the chicken yourself or pick it up at the gourmet take-out, you have the tools and ideas for making it look and taste pleasing and delicious.

For me, much inspiration comes from objects. Have you ever seen
a turkey platter and not visualized the perfectly roasted bird... or a pie plate without a flaky crust filled with a saucy fruit filling...? The way our senses fill in the picture is magic! The other day I found these green transfer plates which reminded me of a local Chinese restaurant I had enjoyed as a child. I decided a stir-fry of tender chicken, orange peppers and pea pods was in order. For a saucy finish I added a tablespoon of peanut butter, a splash of cream and a drop of orange juice... meld over medium heat and you have an instant Thai dish with exotic flavors! Served on my new plates with a fragrant Basmati rice, it really took me back to Mai Kai.

I also discovered a Mary Jane pan at the local Crate and Barrel outlet (it has a well baked into the top for an easy way to fill the finished cake). I made a chocolate version for a recent client shoot which I filled with chocolate mousse and topped with nuts.

Then, I was inspired to fill it with blueberry muffin batter and thawed Maine blueberries that had been blended with 1/4 cup melted blueberry jam. Beautiful and delicious! I love a pan that can give you multiple options in one... (above photos: Matthew Mead Style )
So, take a look around you, sift through your pantry, and be inspired by your serving dishes and the ingredients you have on hand. Take a leap of faith: try something new, glean from your favourite recipes and try a new twist on the tried and true. Make mealtime enjoyable by injecting some creativity into that which you serve...and that which you serve it upon!!


She said: I do confess to being a fairly good cook, but my repertoire is definitely comfort food all the way! In winter, this means roasts, stews, hearty soups, meat pies, basically everything that has the potential to make you fat, if consumed in the proper amount. I confess to not experimenting in the kitchen enough and being a bit predictable. However, complaints are not accepted as supper is served piping hot and plentiful each night. I guess I am more Ma Ingalls than Rachel Ray, culinary speaking...! Indeed, I graciously acknowledge that I will be leaving the recipes to Matthew Mead and he has happily inspired me to shake things up a bit and try something new. Stuffed pita pockets, anyone??

me...just kidding, of course...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...