Some Painterly Advice...from Matthew Mead


"Paint something with color... could be a wall... but why not reinvigorate a chair, a table, a shelf with a great color...?" Matthew Mead


Matthew Mead is back, and he's here to inspire us to pick up those paint brushes (which so many of you have been doing lately) and get ready to create your masterpieces! Your canvas is awaiting, and a pretty picture we will paint, but think sturdy: think furniture, metal, walls, wooden floors... anything that needs a splash of colour or a warm, neutral base to showcase the best features of your home.


Matthew Mead, style editor at Country Home magazine, is not afraid to pick up a paintbrush - indeed he's not- and use it as a wand to spread his magic...here is Matthew's advice for using colour to transform your space:


He Said: Paint is the easiest way to add color... it's fun, quick and can transform something that seemingly has no redeemable function. I can't tell you how many things I have painted in my lifetime and how it always provides me with a new perspective. I started painting watering cans on my mother's washing machine in the basement as a kid. I love washed color and found that diluting an oil based paint with a cherry stain makes the sheerest coat of paint for metal... it works well on all types of galvanized items like wash tubs, french flower cans and buckets.


I went through the "paint it white" phase which I truly feel still works in some circumstances... but I certainly appreciate a warmer hue these days and lately have a real fondness for gray or "grayiege". Its a real natural brown-gray that is warm and simple and makes me think of those rustic Swedish farm houses filled with their time worn furnishings. My assistant often paints these pieces for me and does a lovely job "spattering" the final coat with a dark brown glaze. She does an absolutely fantastic job and although it can be a "bone of contention" (I often line up a half dozen pieces at a time) she revamps each one with great ease and style.

Painting a wall, a door, or a floor can easily reinvigorate a space with little time or planning. A paneled door can be base coated with one color, while the inset panels can be painted with a coordinating color in a similar hue, or a contrasting color. I use all types of items for color inspirations... pieces of china, old pottery- even book covers and their bindings often have great colors and coordinating hues that lead to inspirational interiors. Try painting a wall two colors, with a change in hue 3/4 of the way up the wall at "plate rail" height. Reinvigorate a floor with a single shade of color topped with a coordinating stencil or create a traditional pattern by marking off the floor into squares and selecting two or three colors to create a checkerboard or plaid design.

I am very fortunate to have a great studio space where I can experiment with colors and designs everyday. The great thing is that you can be the beneficiary of my trials and errors... here are a few of my tried and true tips:

  • Always check out the sources in any of my stories for paint color names, numbers and manufacturers.


  • Glean color palettes from your favorite collectibles and take them to the paint store for exact matching.


  • Shop locally owned paint stores... the dealers know exactly how to mix and match and have years of knowledge and experience with matching hues, applying products and best finishes for whatever you are painting.


  • Use test samples to paint wall patches if you just aren't sure, and watch the color throughout the day to see the changing hues.

  • Paint often... it is easy and can change your whole perspective.
Here is photographic evidence of Matthew's masterpieces:

A tray is coated with a thin layer of oil based paint and then stamped with a rubber stamp... the same technique could dress up a floor, wall or table top. (photo credit: Charles Maryia)



Cast-off furnishings get a fresh new look with pretty paint colors and a brown glaze called "touch of mink" by Pratt and Lambert. (photo credit: Charles Maryia)
An early pitcher inspires a breakfast nook color makeover. (photo credit: Reed Davis)


The finished room is simple but sophisticated with modern touches and old world charm...(photo credit: Reed Davis)

Old metal garden chairs get a fresh coat of inspiration, courtesy of a vintage yellow ware bowl...(photo credit: Charles Maryia)



A home office gets a fresh and perky spring yellow to provide punchy relief to country pieces in various shades of red. (photo credit: David Meredith)


She said: Not to be left out I, too, can wield a paintbrush - even though it's one of my least favourite things to do! In fact, I have now (to my credit) painted three sets of kitchen cabinets for my own homes...which has served me in two ways: I am quite good at getting a smooth paint finish, antiquing and varnishing...and I will never undertake such a project again!
Still, I find myself examining my furniture pieces for those that could use a spruce up or even a colour transformation this spring. Like Matthew, I rarely use white on my furniture - opting instead for warm creams, or grey-based neutrals like Silver Sage and Atmosphere Blue from Restoration Harware. I have also been experimenting with adding dashes of colours in my preferred palette on different pieces around my home. I am loving the bolder yellows that have been popping up in everything from home decor to Spring fashions. I will likely forever love the muted turquoises and aqua shades, robins egg blues, and (of course) pink! In fact, I have received many emails over time asking for a list of my favourite colours, so this will be my contribution to this post about paint!

Neutrals/Naturals: some of my favourites...

Sag Harbour Gray (Benjamin Moore HC-95)...this is a taupey-grey
Stylin' (Beauti-Tone : Home Hardware *Cdn*)...a fresh, cheery taupe

Silver Sage (Restoration Hardware)...a greyish green that works with so many colours!

Oyster Bay (ICI: 90YY63/044)...can appear green, grey or blue, depending on the light...very pretty..

Pale Moon (Benjamin Moore OC-108)...a lovely, natural creamy yellow. Subtle and fresh...

Cookng Apple Green (Farrow and Ball #32): great on furniture, especially kitchen chairs and islands.

Skylight (Farrow and Ball)...just like it sounds...a cool, blue-grey...lovely paired with crisp, white trim and mouldings.


Kickin' it up a notch? These shades are a bit bolder:

Dijon (Benjamin Moore CC210) or its more subtle companion: Vellum (CC200): both earthy, wheat shades of yellow packed with a more colourful punch.

Cinnabar (Pittsburgh Paints: 330-6). This muted reddish-brown shade is great for a dining area and looks amazing paired with touches of black or dark brown. Use it as an accent wall if you don't want to go all the way...

Wainscot (Farrow and Ball #55): a warm brown that is well suited to a room that you want to feel cozy or elegant).
Orangery (Farrow and Ball #70): Now I confess that I haven't seen this colour anywhere other than in print, but it looks fantastic, bold and gutsy. Anyone have those guts??

Pink Peony (Benjamin Moore 2078-70): any color named after the most beautiful of flowers must be on this list. This shade of pink is breathtaking...fresh, pretty, a bit shy...a lovely shade for a little girl's room or even a powder room. I'm tempted to paint a piece of furniture this colour...

Brown Horse (Benjamin Moore 2108-30): This brown is rolling off the greys so you can be sure it is a fresh take on the colour. Cool, sophisticated, not hokey...I think it should be called "Dark Horse"...!

Well, that's my short list. If you aren't inspired by Matthew or me to pick up a paint brush, then you must really hate painting! If you can't convince those who live with you to do it, start saving your pennies and hire the job out...there is nothing like a lick of fresh paint to perk up a room. As a bonus, there's no rule that says that you have to be the one holding the brush...!!!


(both photos are of my own home)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...