Don't judge a house by its owner...!

Elizabeth Taylor
I could never be accused of being overly fashionable. For the most part, I dress suitably for the occasion, but am prone to wearing a seasonal uniform (capris or a skirt and tee or blouse in spring/summer, and jeans/pants and a top in the fall/winter). It doesn't vary that much, and my attempts at accessorizing are sporadic. I dress simply, if not a bit boring, and I am not blatantly out of fashion. I am usually put together (and always am when working), but I am not a fashion trend setter! In essence, my wardrobe is safe, and you won't hear me spouting off about what is in or not in, fashion-wise. It's just not my thing...

source: Dior

When it comes to decorating, however, it is my job to be current, and I enjoy keeping tabs on the new trends and respecting the tried and true traditionals. I am required to be in the know about what is new and stylish in the home decor world. My own decor is current (i.e. not dated), and my personal tastes lean towards modern country, and vintage-style with a bit of shabby-chic thrown in. My home is "fashionable", though you may not know that just by checking out what I am wearing!!


Ten years or so ago, I was living in a very small village and I met a woman who really stood out to me. She was very fashionable...one of those women who could put anything on and make it seem chic. I remember thinking to myself, "Her home is probably sooo well decorated!". Well, one day I got the opportunity to actually visit her home and I crossed the threshold of her front door full of anticipation! Well, it was literally like a balloon burst: her decor was not only a total letdown style-wise, but actually very dated! When I say dated I mean bad 70's style furniture, shabby throw cushions, a hodge podge of disconnectedness. While none of this really matters on any important level, I was just so surprised!! She was so stylish that I just assumed that her home would be, too. She had a very comfortable lifestyle financially, so that wasn't the reason, but I was still confused as to the lack of correlation between how she presented herself and how she presented her home. It really intrigued me! As we talked more, I half expected her to say they were on the cusp of beginning a home reno and therefore were making do with old stuff until they could bring the whole new look together. But no, this was obviously just the way she decorated her home and she made no mention of her home whatsoever! She was a lovely person and I really could have cared less about her home decor, but it taught me that the personal style of the homeowner does not necessarily reflect the style of their home.
My experience (and I have run across other examples like it and its opposite) really hammers home the old saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover". Some people put all their extra money and effort into looking good personally, while others (like me) prefer to peruse the home decor shops rather than the clothing boutiques! Others have a perfect balance or can afford to devote ample money to both their home and their wardrobes. Lucky them, I guess, but me...I'm just happy strolling through the aisles at Homesense in my jeans, sweater, topped off by my functional purse. To each his own...just be careful to not make too many assumptions: or you just might get a funny surprise!!!
Cheers!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...