Thoughts of Christmas...

photo: Room Service Home

Well, I know I'm getting a little ahead of myself, considering it's not even Hallowe'en yet, but Christmas is on my mind. And I know I'm not alone...considering all the comments on my post yeterday, and the lovely Christmas posts I've been reading lately. I readily admit it...I love Christmas, and do not wait until December 1st to start thinking about and planning for it. Thoughts of Christmas actually start popping into my head on a regular basis as soon as the kids go back to school. Their absence during the day allows me to sneak some early shopping packages into the house (kind of like I sneak them into the house the rest of the year so as not to "excite" hubby...) and as I clean and declutter the remnants of summer away, I can't help but think about Christmas and the excitement (and yes, work) it brings.

Julie from Nunnie's Attic wrote a post yesterday about having a smorgasbord of Christmas decorations that she can't seem to part with despite her desire to have a cohesive decorating plan and homespun country Christmas. She jokingly(?) asked for my advice as to how to deal with this problem and in the spirit of Christmas, and because she's so nice, I vow to help her!!! Marianna over at Cardinal Acre (she has a lovely blog, by the way...she writes stories, instead of just words...) wrote a wonderful post about the desire to create a perfect Christmas, but struggling a little with the energy, time or confidence to pull it all off. Again, we are bombarded with images of perfect Christmases in magazines, on television, on Christmas cards, and more! We, as women, are pretty much expected to execute the whole perfect deal on our own, and still remain smiling. We want to entertain enough, shop enough, bake enough, visit enough, volunteer enough, worship enough...so as to create warm and happy holiday memories that our children will remember, our family and friends will crow about, and that even we can enjoy despite our exhaustion. Throw our regular work into the mix (at home or outside the home), and no wonder some people "stiffen" when they start thinking of the holiday season!

So, I have taken on the challenge for us all. I will begin writing weekly posts about planning and executing not the perfect Christmas, but one that is realistic, organized, festive, and enjoyable. I will provide a bit of a blueprint, so to speak. It may not work for all, and I am not calling myself a Christmas expert by any means; but I love Christmas and all the traditions and joy it brings...and I think I pull off a fairly enjoyable one for my family and me each year. I will offer up my best advice with regards to what has worked for me in the past, and give you some fun holiday entertaining ideas that are low-key, lower-pressure and family friendly. And what would my
blog be without TONS of holiday decorating ideas? I have quite a few fun ideas up my sleeve, and even a few weekly blog surprises that will begin in December. So, come back if you love Christmas as much as I do, and/or just want some help organizing and decorating. It'll be fun...I promise...!!!
Cheers!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...