I say high, you say low...

not my home...

I'm a main floor living kind of a gal...which kind of defeats the purpose of my back- split bungalow home. For those of you who don't know what a back-split is, it basically means a traditional bungalow/rancher with a finished walkout basement. We built this particular kind of home because our lot drops off at the back, providing us with the ability to install full size windows in the basement rooms. Our sons' bedrooms are down there, as is my husband's office, a large storage room, a full bathroom, and a large family room (which doubles as my work/creative space). It is a nice, bright area that is very comfortable and functions well for our family. Except for me...and my husband. Although our family room is cozy, has two sofas, a large television, and even a cute electric fireplace (for faux ambience), we never congregate down there as a family. EVER!
Basically it all boils down to the fact that we are not basement people. It doesn't matter how pleasant we make it, there's just something unappealing to us about not being at (actual) ground level. When I'm watching t.v., I want to be able to see the cars rolling down our little street. I want to see who is coming to the door before I get to it. I like the ease of floating into the kitchen to get a drink or snack, and I just like being upstairs!! To me, there is something claustrophobic about being totally "out of the loop" downstairs. As my hubby puts it, he didn't build a new house so he could hole up in the basement!!


So, each evening, we find ourselves cloistered in our "formal" living room, getting food on my good sofa, watching a puny 13" television (that was meant for only catching the 6:00 news while we drink our evening cup of tea); and inevitably that means kids, being kids, huddle 'round us too. Me in my mama's chair, Pa on the sofa with our little girlie, and lanky pre-teen and teenage sons sprawled on my good chair and the floor. Throw in a cat or two for good measure, some popcorn seeds on the floor, and suddenly my "formal" living room isn't looking so grand...On the bright side, we are nestled together in front of a real (well, gas) fireplace, we have a view of the street, and it's not a long trip up the stairs to refill my teacup (or wine glass, if it's a weekend!), and besides, I've always professed to being a casual girl anyway...

So enjoy your family room, wherever it might be...the most important element is the family part of it, afterall.

Cheers!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...