For the love of Lighting


Ikea
Canadian Tire




Some people just don't notice lighting. At least that's what one might be led to believe if you drive past the homes in a new subdivision. House after house has outdoor lights that you know the builder has picked because that is what they have always picked. I am not one of those people. When I drive past a house I instantly search for the lights. If I see spectacular lights, it tells me a lot about the homeowners. I just know their home inside will be good. I'm not always right, but in general this theory works.
I take a lot of time selecting my lights. In fact, I draw up a lighting plan for every home I live in. You've heard the saying, "lighting is the jewellry of a home." How true that is. I have discovered that you don't have to spend a ton of money on your lighting to have it be special. I have only shopped at a U.S. source for lighting once and although the place I shopped from had truly spectacular lights, the price was exhorbitant!! I get most of my lighting at Kent, Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, HomeSense, and our local building supply store. I have found beautiful chandeliers, outdoor lights, schoolhouse lights, wall sconces, you name it. I believe in using grander lighting in unexpected places, using outdoor lanterns in foyers, and even as wall sconces.
My absolute favorite light fixture that I have is a glass star pendant which hangs pride of place above my staircase. I bought it specifically to hang in front of the window looking out onto my front porch. It makes me happy when I look at it and sometimes people slow down as they drive by to look at "the star." I laugh when those people drive by... they must be lovers of lighting- like me!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...