More than a playhouse...







When I was a little girl, my sister, Wendy, would tell me all about the playhouse my Uncle Jimmy had made for her in Ireland. We left Ireland when I was only five so I have very limited memories of my birthplace. I remember feeling envious of this playhouse that I had no memory of. It was called "the Wendy house" and it sounded like a dream. How I wished I had one of my own...
As I grew older, I vowed that if I ever had a daughter, she would definitely have her own little outdoor oasis. Fast forward to now: I have a six-year old daughter and no playhouse. But all that is about to change this summer. My talented husband, who is a very doting daddy, is going to make her the play house of my dreams!!! We are putting in an above-ground pool with a deck all around it and attached to the side wall of the deck will be her playhouse. We have a very small backyard, so the width is not there for a pool and playhouse. We were stumped as to how to incorporate the playhouse until a lightbulb went off in my head! It will obviously be at deck level so it will have a slanted ladder going up to it and she will climb up to her little house. Essentially, she will be playing in her house while behind her is the side wall of the pool deck- they will have a shared wall. Confusing I know, but do-able. I am so excited and cannot wait to bring it to life! I picture it with window boxes, cedar shake roof, pale yellow clap-boards, and a gothic style window in the peak. It is to be seen whether hubby will go along with all that!!!

I had originally thought I would incorporate a playhouse into a garden shed for us. The idea was to have the playhouse as the front of the structure and the shed in the back with its own door. This would definitely be a good idea for anyone with a proper sized backyard and really means only building one structure with a dividing wall in between. You could even have the playhouse be a cabin for boys or a fun hangout for pre-teens. In my case, we had better get at it. Time is a' wasting! I want Sophie to have her playhouse while she is still young enough to really enjoy it!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...