Inspiration from Matthew Mead...and me!!

Well, I'm back...and no, I wasn't hanging out with the likes of Matthew Mead (unfortunately). Nope, I was hanging out in Toronto with three other hip and happening people (my kids) and one less hip forest engineer (my sweet hubby...). I will tell you all about it tomorrow, as I came back fairly enlightened in many ways, and will show you some pics of my destinations (shopping and otherwise). I did manage to "hang out" with a rather well-known who's who in the Toronto design world and he was charming and sweet and I even got a picture taken with him...right Chris?!

As promised, I will now deliver on my joint venture with Mr. Mead. He sent me an email a little while ago asking me if I'd like (are you kidding me?) to collaborate with him and run a series of inspiring posts aimed at jump starting us all back into rejuvenating our homes- despite the wintry challenges. Matthew shares my philosophy of tweaking what you have, adding to your collections and enjoying the seasons for what they are. We can look ahead to what the design world brings us, and yet treasure our homes and what we love about them. Here is what Matthew has to say:

"Dear Linda,
Starting a new year of style is much like starting a new year in elementary school or moving into a new home... where you came from is always so familiar and comforting and the warmth of the holidays against the starkness of the new year is scary and unfriendly. I know for me the post- holiday home seems bare and the schedule so empty of that palpable yuletide surprise and wonder. Your post about what I perceive as the holiday blues got me thinking that we aren't the only ones sensitive to these feelings... I think people of our ilk need a bit of a boost in these early months and I am all too happy to share some of my ideas for jumping into an inspiring new year. I have five action-able steps to set things in motion (I am sure there are more ) and definitely lots of variations of these ideas." (Matthew Mead)


Without further adieu, here is Matthew Mead's first step to inspiring a new look for your home (he said/she said style!!):

(He said): Change your perspective

Removing the Christmas tree and all of the holiday trimmings provides a real opportunity to change things around. We get so set in our ways about our surroundings, and our furnishings settle into place in such a familiar way, that we fail to notice the details of a carved bureau front or the shapely turn of a table leg. That's when it's time to mix it up and change things out. Consider a small-scale transformation like a newly positioned bedside table with drawers to conceal clutter or a small vertical standing shelf to hold your favorite books, magazines and journals... add a lamp from another room in the house... or dust off one of those lamps relegated to the basement. Gather mismatched chairs from around the house and pull them up around the kitchen table for something a bit more interesting and less matchy matchy, or arrange the living room furniture in a way that isn't focused around the television set (you'll be amazed that there are other, more interesting objects and accessories in your surroundings than the 32 inch flat screen).
(photo:Matthew Mead)

My own effort in this direction is to reclaim an enclosed glass porch as a dining area... we are having the neighbors over for a post holiday gathering and I have decided that our small-ish round dining room table just won't do. I'm repositioning an old table from the hallway and making it our dining table -surrounded by Jenny's favorite bow back Windsor chairs and bench. We will be able to comfortably fit everyone for dinner and will have a great re-purposed space for upcoming holidays... and, a room that I often look out upon as unusable storage space, will be a fresh and functioning space for gathering.
(She (me!!) said): Shake things up:
Well, you've done it. You've finally taken down the remainder of the Christmas decorations, dusted off the surfaces, taken that break from holiday clutter and breathed a sigh of relief. However, those of us who have permanent decorating fever rarely last with such a blank canvas. With Valentine's Day merely a blip on the home decor scene and Easter months away, that itch to decorate can just seem to get itchier. Sure you can dream about landscaping plans, summer paint projects, and bringing out the patio cushions and chairs...but for those of us who need to feed the fever, there is no time like the present!

Take a good look at your surroundings. As Matthew suggested, try arranging your furniture in new ways... showcase a different piece of furniture by putting it into the spotlight. How to do this? Lighting...accessories...angles...embellishing...or all four! For example, take your dining table: perhaps you have it arranged square on with the perimeter of the room? On the table rests a simple centerpiece, the perfunctory chandelier hangs overhead, and on the adjacent wall hangs a perfectly suitable, but predictable piece of artwork. Sounds familiar? Well, it may be time to shake things up! I admit to the occasional reluctance to leave be that which is not broken. It never truly stops me though! As someone who has never had a love affair with her own dining set, I love Matthew's suggestion to incorporate chairs from around your home. I love the idea of pulling up two wing back chairs in a forgiving fabric to the head spots at the table. I would then replace my chairs with rustic benches. Moving on to the centerpiece, I would fill an ironstone tureen with simple candles surrounded by faux snow (check it out in florists shops...you'll have to touch it to feel the difference!), a long wooden tray filled with pinecones and green apples...your imagination is your only limitation. If you want to up the elegance factor, try the juxtaposition of elegant clear glass, crystal, or silver candelabra (holding simple white or black candles) with the more rustic benches and/or casual chairs. Why not try implementing a modern twist to your chandelier? I am presently on the search for a sufficiently large, translucent drum shade to encapsule my sparkly chandelier. I love the idea of concealing some of the femininity of the chandelier, especially at a time when covering up is seasonally appropriate. So, have some fun, step out of your comfort zone, perhaps... and look at your home and blongings with a fresh set of eyes- ones that don't have winter blinders on them!

(above two photos: Sepia and Better Homes and Gardens, respectively)

***Matthew Mead will be back with more tips each week (and his own images for us to drool over!). I'll attempt to add my two cents worth and I am thrilled he is so gracious in sharing his great style with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...