Winter tourists...

The view from the CN Tower..
First timers!!
Well, as I mentioned the other day,we fell off the turnip truck and landed in the big city of Toronto!!
What a whirlwind weekend!! We flew in on Thursday and out on Monday and exhausted are we...not to mention a wee bit more experienced (well, I am anyway). This was the first time our kids have flown and their innocence wafted from them like the smell of cut grass! In fact, my youngest son had two concerns about our plane. First, he wondered if our vehicle would be loaded onto the plane and then, on the flight home, made me alert the stewardess to show her what he felt was a safety hazard with the window next to him. He "felt a draft" coming from it, and not reassured by her (she did look a tiny bit concerned), settled for no less than the pilot himself to have a look!! All was well, and he didn't have to worry about getting "sucked out the window" and he excused the pilot to commence take-off. The funny thing is, he is my reckless, fearless child...
"Give me a quick rundown on flying this thing...with my memory, it should be a piece of cake..."
Before take-off, we got a tour of the cockpit. Just as I was squeezing myself into his cramped seat, the pilot instructed me to be careful to not "bang into any switches." Gulp... what if I already had? It would surely be my fault if we all went down!! The kids then insisted on chewing gum during takeoff and almost panicked when I couldn't find it in time. Honestly, I know they haven't led the priveleged life that some of their peers have, but do they have to embarrass me with their small town ways?? It was sweet to see my eldest just shaking his head at being above the clouds...saying, "I just don't believe it..." Personally, I grew up never doing anything, as we just couldn't afford to even think of family vacations and the like. It has made me very appreciative of anything we thus do, and although our children have experienced much more than we did, they still haven't experienced serious travel like kids today seem to take for granted. They truly appreciated this trip and we were so excited to be able to do it for them.
Like good tourists, we toured the CN tower (I even stood on the glass floor!) which is the world's tallest free standing structure. Then, while the kids and hubby toured the Hockey Hall of Fame, I indulged in a little retail therapy..which led to the sorest feet I have ever experienced. Like a fool, I wanted to look at least somewhat fashionable, and of course, I didn't really pull it off, and instead suffered in the pursuit! Which led me to the realization that I don't necessarily want to fit in with certain fashion styles. Especially the leggings + babydoll dress + bad eighties boots look I saw everywhere (on the young set)! Maybe if I was young and skinny again...but all I know is the good Lord meant for me to wear that stuff then, but not now. Besides, I am a preppy girl at heart...so the long duffle coats with black, square-toed boots suited me much better. Which is basically the other predominant fashion I saw floating around the city. I was actually a bit disappointed with the fashion and shopping! Everything was so spread out and when you finally reached your destination, the exhorbitant prices nearly knocked me over!! Just to prove my point, this store (Au Lit) had sheet sets that sold for $500-$1200 and I literally couldn't afford (in good conscience, anyway) anything in the store!! Personally I'd feel guilty sleeping on such pricey bedding while others don't even have a blanket to cover themselves with... I guess I just believe that my sleep needs (or skin) is no more deserving than anyone else's and some things are just so indulgent that they seem vulgar...but that's just me. Somebody has to be purchasing such luxuries...
The highlight for the kids was the visit to the Much Music studios (and meeting the veejays) and the basketball game between the Toronto Raptors and Atlanta Hawks. What an exciting outing!! They do an incredible job at pumping up the crowd and if it wasn't for the drunk guys behind us with a proclivity for the F-bomb (lovely), it would have been perfect! Which leads me to my other observation in Toronto. While everyone we met was very nice, I encountered a certain lack of social niceties...which I'm sure is just a symptom of a faster-paced life and talking too much on cell phones as one walks... Indeed, I was bumped into many times and found myself apologizing (in true Maritime style) while the guilty party seemed totally oblivious, if not annoyed at me for being there! Where is that turnip truck when you need it?? My only other complaint was the way that the shop keepers in many of the more swank stores would size you up like a side of beef to see if you were worthy of their attention, and of course, me in my dull clothes and lack of chic, dark-framed glasses did not pass muster!! I went into a store called Teatro Verde and politely asked if I could photograph the most exquisite chandelier, and she sniffed, "Noooo... I don't think so..." in a very posh voice. Hmmph...I'd show her: I politely turned on my heel and as soon as I could get into running distance, snapped this photo!! I can be rude, too!!!
The ever so swank Teatro Verde: actually not that great...
Our hosts, my husband's brother and sister- in- law, were the most gracious hosts and we all loved spending time with them and their adorable daughter. Good food, good company, coupled with some great outings added up to a wonderful first trip to Toronto for the kids. I was fortunate enough that my good friend Chris met up with me for a day's shopping and we had so much fun navigating the shops on Queen St. East.
Here are some photos I took. Now's the time to check out if you're not family (or bored... or just polite):
My BIL's beautiful home (this one deserves the beautiful label)
The "boys" looking entirely too happy...except for Gray...caught him in a blink...or stupor!!
Me and my posse at the Raptors game..so much fun!!
1st subway ride...don't they look impressed?


The Toronto Zoo: a wonderful place even in winter: just look at this mother gorilla nursing her baby...so sweet!!
mama chimpanzee and her baby...
Meet Charles...he was very shy...he'd sneak a peek at me and then look away quickly (although I didn't look my best, surely he wouldn't have found me that hard to look at it??). The gorillas were my favourite...they had to drag me away!!
Well, we had a great time in the big city and made lots of great memories. Toronto is definitely a beautiful city and is a great place to visit any time of the year!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...