Let the Sunshine in...

Mmmm yellow...while I have certainly used it plenty when decorating my homes, I just can't seem to get it out of my system. In fact, I almost painted my kitchen cabinets a buttery shade of yellow before settling on the icy blue shade I now have. photo: source unknown

Yellow is wonderfully fresh in all its shades: butter, lemon, wheat, daisy, from pale cream to a more vibrant sun shade- it brightens up a home by injecting an element of summer into it. Unless you really are misguided when selecting the right shade, it invariably succeeds in looking fresh, clean, natural...Pair it with soft or vibrant shades of blue, pink, white, greens, and more and you will undoubtedly have a cottage look that lifts your spirits when you open your front door.
all photos above: Maine Cottage.com

photo source: unknown

I got thinking about how yellow is the perfect shade to perk up your winter home, after seeing the latest Martha Stewart Living magazine at the grocery store. In fact, the way the colour seemed to leap off the cover boosted my spirits and inspired me to go rummaging through my linen closet for pillow cases and other bits and bobs to sprinkle some sunshine around my home. Even the whiteness of the season (via snow, of course) lends itself so well to a jolt of yellow(think eggs...sunny side up, or a tart slice of lemon meringue pie). In fact, let your favourite yellow food (at least aesthetically speaking) be your colour guide. Me, I'm partial to the custard yellows, the butter shades, and the occasional lemon drop to liven things up!! Oh, and I think I've changed my mind on my future kitchenaid mixer- that yellow one on Martha's cover is screaming my name...!!! All in good time, all in good time...
kitchen photos: Martha Stewart Living
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...