Designing Women...

Doing up a design plan for your Christmas decorating might seem a tad grandiose or unnecessary, but speaking from experience, it can keep you on track, on budget, and you'll end up with a more cohesive result than if you just slap up your decorations on a whim. I started doing this a few years ago as a result of the many moves we have undergone, and thus the changing square footages and layouts of our homes. Couple that with my being a bit flighty and someone who loves change, and the need was real, so that I didn't spend days moving things around from spot to spot...

Now, I'm not saying that you have to itemize each and every Christmas decoration or collectible! That would be crazy, and who has the time? However, if you are someone who loves decorating and loves Christmas, then a good plan can be of big help. As a result of poking through my decorations (in the name of organization), I now have a fairly good idea of what I have, what I need (nothing!), and what I want (well, why not?!). As I was looking at everything, I made discoveries (some pretty Wendy Addison glittered beauties) and realized that I still could use some more white lights for my Christmas tree, as some are just getting too old. So, guess where I made note of all that? Yep, you guessed it...in my handy, dandy notebook!! See, I told you it was a course requirement!
Now, back to the plan: plunk yourself down on your favourite chair after the kids go to bed, then pick up a large (~8x11) note pad, some pencils, an eraser, and some colored pencils. To start, I simply make notes of what I want to do with my mantel, above my kitchen cupboards, what garland to use on the railing, what centerpiece would be pretty for my dining table, do I need a new tablecloth, how many trees (big and little) will I put up and what themes will they be, and so on. I make mental notes of what I presently have that needs refreshing and what decor I am utterly tired of. That is a very important part. Are you still putting things out just because you always have, but you really don't like them anymore? Well, there is enough clutter around at Christmas!! You don't need to put out Aunt Doris' festive toilet paper covers just because they are still in good shape!! I say, put out only what you really love... that which gives you good memories and what still works with your decor, at least to some degree. Do not feel guilty about permanently retiring what you are tired of!!! Give it away to someone with different or less taste than you, or donate it to charity. Someone will surely be glad to have it...it just doesn't have to be you!!!

***Heads up to my family, if I ever made you a decoration that you no longer like or want, please get rid of it!!! I won't even remember, and I will probably be so happy to not have to be reminded of tackier times in the past...!!!
Now for the fun part...the sketching of the plan. I tend to only draw up what I want to do on the exterior of my home. Believe me, I am no artist!! Everything is out of scale, because the drawing is for my eyes only. I usually tuck it into one of my favourite holiday magazines and try not to forget where I put it!! Decorating the exterior of one's home can be the most challenging part. Figuring out how much lighting you will need, where to put the wreaths, what the colour scheme will be, and how to incorporate new purchases. I just purchased two new glittered deer for my front garden...they are so much prettier than my old white ones, and will look good even without snow. Use the colored pencils to approximate the color scheme and greenery of your design plan. That is the really fun part! Be reassured that this sketch is really not a big deal. It doesn't take long to do it (you can do it while your hubby is engrossed in his favourite (and boring) sports program. If he asks what you are doing, just casually say, "Oh, nothing much...just working on a design plan..." Then yawn and ask him the score and he will have moved on...totally unaware that this plan might involve a little bit of shopping...

So, have some fun with this. Don't take it too seriously. No need to get out the drafting table...just do it as a relaxing way to organize your thoughts...and show off your decorative flair!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...