Glitteratti, freaky deer, and Happy Birthday to me...

Aren't these classy??!! (as seen at our local Christmas parade!!)

Yep, it's my birthday. For the record, I have just turned thirty-seven, and unlike some, I don't get freaked out about getting older...at least not yet. While I may look forty-seven to some, I still feel eighteen. Again, I don't look or act like I'm eighteen, but I feel it in my head. I sometimes look at my 13 yr old son, who is now taller than me, and think: "What the heck...??? How is this big kid mine?? His voice is deeper, he probably thinks I'm a dork, and soon he's going to be able to drive??!!" But wait...I'm only a youngster myself...am I really old enough to have a teenager, own a home and two vehicles, and have this many wrinkles??? In a word, yes. I am that old...and I don't really care.
Moving on, I had a great weekend. My parents came down and Mum and I went around to all the shops to see their Christmas decor, enjoyed a nice meal at our favourite little cafe, and in the evening, did our annual Christmas craft with Sophie. I still have glitter stuck to my fingers and I saw some in Sophie's hair this morning when I was getting her ready for school. I decided that we should make shadow box scenes this year, and we picked up the frames at the Dollar Store and I scoured the shops and my own stash for little items that would look cute in the frames. We glittered them to death and I think they turned out quite lovely. I'm not sure who's getting what, but I do have plans to give a couple of them as gifts. Mum had a good laugh, however, as I kept finishing them and saying, "I'm not sure if I can give this one away...". I have to keep telling myself that the best gifts to give are those that you want to keep for yourself. Of course, that can be hard at times, given that I'm only eighteen in my mind.... Here are our creations, and I'd like to give credit for the colored bottle brush trees (that I got the directions for altering their colour) to Sarah at Misadventures of Mama and Jack...one of my favourite blogs for inspiration.
These are Mum's:


These are mine:
























Below is a picture of Sophie and her best friend begging for candy at the Christmas parade on Sunday. On perfect cue, the biggest snowflakes started falling at the end of the parade, just in time for Santa and his taxidermy reindeer! They make me laugh every year, and I hope they never do away with them (no pun intended). We ended the day with an early birthday feast of Chinese food in honour of my birthday. In fact, this birthday seems to be all about eating, with one of my good friends treating me to lunch today and another treating me to breakfast tomorrow. I had better double up on my walks!!!


Mum, Dad and Sophie

Oops, I almost forgot to add Sophie's creation. Isn't it adorable??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...