Keeping it simple...

Well, no matter how you look at it, the holiday season is a busy time for most everybody. The reason I do much of my Christmas planning in November, is because I want to be able to enjoy the actual holiday and the days leading up to it. Whether we like it or not, more is expected of us and our time. School Christmas concerts need to be scheduled around; little notes come home requesting baked goodies for our children's class parties; volunteer activities pick up; we receive calls looking for baked donations for our church teas and sales; family and friends stop by, and so on. That is why a little bit of advance planning and preparation goes a long way. Certain things just have to happen, so if we are prepared for them, then we decrease our stress level even a teensy bit...
(wreath/mirror photo: landstil.com)
I don't think I could ever really be accused of going over the top at Christmas, from either a gift or baking perspective. I give thoughtful gifts, but I don't break the bank; and I limit myself to a limited number of favourite baked goods that I make each year. Certainly however, I decorate quite a bit... but that brings me pleasure. I do it for myself and my family (my kids actually look forward to it and helping decorate their rooms, especially), and no one else. It is an exercise in enjoyment and creativity, and doesn't stress me out in the least. If, however, it fills you with dread, then simply scale back. Do as little or as much as you want. I remember visiting my Auntie Jean when I was young. She lived in a senior's apartment with my Uncle Jimmy, and she only decorated at the last minute. She would put out a few pretty treasures, but the highlight for me was the cheery cardboard Santa on her front door. All through December, I'd wait with bated breath on the elevator up to her level, hoping that smiling Santa with the rosy cheeks would be there to greet us as we stepped off the lift. Even though I was probably a little too old to get such pleasure out of something so simple, it still never failed to put that spark of Christmas excitement in my belly... Her simple nods to the season are the perfect example of how simple, but meaningful decorating is as good as the more elaborate "decking of the halls".



There is no tried and true formula for how much is too much or too little. Simple adornaments of nature's bounty can be the most beautiful decor of all. Pine boughs with winter berries, apples and pomegranites, cinnamon sticks tied in a bundle, and pinecones and twigs can bring a old-fashioned Christmas feel to your home for little or no money. My sister, Wendy, does the most beautiful tree in her kitchen each year. It is a simple, little Alpine tree (with a birch bark trunk),and she adorns it with corrugated cardboard stars, white lights, and raffia bows...charming in its simplicity, and the decorations cost next to nothing. I also love the look of candy canes and hand-crafted paper chains made by a child. It is a simple and easy activity to do together, and is perfect for a small tree in a child's bedroom. (child's tree photo: Martha Stewart.com)

Decorations do not have to be extravagant, expensive, or one of a kind. I truly believe that the most beautiful decorations are the ones that people love and have a story behind them. When I go see a friend or family member's tree, I am a bit of an odd duck. I tend to quiz the "owner" about many of the ornaments. I love hearing them tell where they got them, what their significance is, and what they love about their decorations...and if you come to see mine, don't ask those questions because I literally remember where and why I got almost every ornament. I am very sentimental!!
I will be sharing some pictures of some of my favourite tree ornaments in the weeks to come, and I'd love to hear (or see) about yours! Who knows, maybe I can convert you into becoming a fellow ornament lover who coaxes your own families and friends into telling you about their treasures hanging proudly on their trees...!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...