The ABC's of decorating...verse 1

photo: poshchicago.com

Well, I hope I don't get you humming the ABC song, 'cause that's where I'm going with this. I'm going to do that crazy word association game in the form of a decorating lesson, so hum along with me...if you know your ABC's that is...
A is for accessories...you know what a sucker I am for those. It's so important to have just enough, but not too many. And please, make them mean something to you. Don't buy something because you should, but because you can't live without it. In other words, choose love (or looks ) over money. Just because it costs a a lot, doesn't mean it's great.
B is for bed... We finally invested in a good quality mattress and my back thanks me for it everyday. This is an example of pro-rating at its best. The mattress may be a good chunk of change, but divided over the life of the bed, it's an outright bargain! And you know how much I love a bargain... Oh, and don't forget to buy pretty, soft sheets. Stay away from the 180-thread counts...unless you want to feel like you've just gone to bed on a loofah... You will feel pampered if your bed is pretty and comfy. You're worth it...I know you are!!
C is for chairs. I think I've said enough on that topic...just promise me you won't settle for ugly/ quality. I did that with mine...but that's an old story!!
(oops, I forgot...C is also for Chandelier...an absolute must have...the sparklier the better!!)
photo: Design inc.ca
D is for drapery (although I prefer to call them curtains, or window treatments) Lighten up on these...they should enhance the window, not overwhelm it. And unless you need sheers in the same way your mother needs a slip, forgo them. Let the light in and enjoy your view!
E is for exterior decorating. Don't forget curb appeal. The outside of your home should entice people to cross the threshold. Spruce up your entrance, open your curtains, put out a nice welcome mat, and hang a pretty wreath on the door. Reveal some of who you are on the outside of your home...

F is for fireplace. If you have one and you don't love it...give it a makeover! Resurface the front of it, change your mantel decor with the seasons, and clean out the firebox. Soot and grime do not make for a "smokin" look!! Don't forget, F is also for focal point...something your fireplace should be!
G is for garage door. Please, oh please, don't paint your garage door a crazy colour or make it stand out from outer space. It should recede...blend in...or if you really lucky, treat yourself to one that has a heritage feel. There are some beautiful options out there. Choose beauty and function!!
Well, tomorrow will be brought to you by the letters HIJKLMNOP . Bet you don't know what comes after that!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...