The end of the road...

photo: Pottery Barn
I think I bit off more than I can chew with this alphabet thing. I just have the hard ones left, so here goes...

Q is for quoi...as in that certain je ne sais quoi. You know what I mean...it's that bit of style that someone gives to their home that is hard to put your finger on. I think it is basically their personality coming through. Their love of nature reflected in a piece of driftwood, their cheerfulness that can be compared to their detailed pillows or artwork, their memorabilia that tells you that they have travelled...basically just that element that sets them apart. Not all of us have it on display but it's there if we tap into it...
photo: Ralph Lauren Home

R is for rugs (or flooring, carpets, etc.). Choosing a great rug to ground and "finish" off a room can be very difficult...especially if you want it to work if you change your decor with the seasons. In fact, I am in the process of finding a great rug for my living room. Alas, I am having absolutely no luck. Maybe I need to take another trip south of the border...
(For my dream rug...and chairs...see top photo)

S is for shades...Lamp shades, that is. Choose shades in the right proportion to the lamp you will be using (a guide will often be on the lamp tag itself when you purchase it). My favourite shade of the moment is the drum shade. In fact, I am on the lookout for a big one for a ceiling light I want to make. Another really nice variation is a black shade. This looks very rich and classy and can offer a modern touch as well.


T is for treasures... We all have them, we just have to figure out the best way and places to display them. I love to use shadow boxes and mirrored trays to showcase small treasures. Giving them prominence elevates their importance and reminds us of why we consider them treasures. Dig your treasures out from their hiding spaces. If they were important enough to keep, then they are important enough to show off.


U is for up-lighting...(I know, I'm grasping at straws here). But up-lighting is a great tool to use in the garden, especially. I love to uplight the large birch tree in my front yard, especially at Halloween and Christmas. It can give an eery or magical impression to the tree and showcases its magnificent beauty.


V is for vintage...You had to know I was going to choose that!! In my book, vintage anything is basically a great choice. I love incorporating old decorative items and furniture. It gives a home a sense of history, even a new home. I also live knowing that someone else used and loved items now in my possession. It is the best form of decorative recycling. What's old is new again...!!


W is for windows... Great windows are the crowning touch to any home...it is so important to not scrimp when picking out new windows!! When purchasing windows I fall back on one of my favourite sayings, "It is what it is." Windows are expensive, but such is life. You need them and they might as well be pretty, because no matter how beautiful your view from the inside of your home, it will backfire if you cheap out on selecting the windows of your home!! You mustn't forget the view from the street...your home!! Add mullions/grills, beautiful trim, and the creme de la creme of all windows...transoms. Nothing says heritage home like some beautiful transoms topping your windows. So buy the best you can afford..you won't regret it!!


X is for...x is for...x is for...x is for... sorry I can't think of a single thing!!!!!!!


Y is for yellow... one of the best "neutral" paint colours I can think of. Yellow can be creamy, buttery, sunny, earthy (think maize), happy, calm, or vibrant. And you know how I love a yellow house...




Z is for zzzzz's...what I should be catching right now...I have a big organization job in the morning and I need to get myself organized!!!
By the way, if you thought of something for the letter X, tell me!! I hereby X-tend my apologies and can offer no X-cuse for my lack of creativity!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...