Kicking it up a notch...

I've complained about this summer enough, but I still want to make an observation about it. It doesn't really feel like the way summer should. Now that the weather is good I should be more in the mode, but I'm not. Just to turn the tide, I've been making myself cram as many summery things into my schedule as I can. So why do I feel so restless??

I think it's because my kids are getting older. Although I still have a little one, my eldest is now (technically) a teenager, and I'm acutely aware that the things we used to do as a family often seem boring to him. I find myself feeling anxious when we go on an outing...watching him for signs of not enjoying himself and always wanting to keep the tempo up. I've come to realize that he's not the problem, I am. I think I'm clinging to the way things used to be, the things we used to do, and worrying that they are not enough. He's an amazing and easy kid. He is sensitive to me like no one else and the chats we have and the easy way we interact is something I cherish. So, I just want him to be happy being with us. There is such an age and interest discrepancy between a thirteen year old boy and a six year old girl. What each of my children find interesting and fun can vary greatly, and I'm in the middle just trying to keep the peace and wanting everyone to enjoy themselves...

We started swimming lessons this week. At first the boys balked at the notion of resuming their lessons. But after a 13 year old boy from Halifax drowned early this summer (despite having taken swimming lessons and being an outstanding athlete), they were quite shaken and changed their thinking. They are all loving lessons now and I love meeting up with my good friends, Debbie and Krissy, and chatting with them while sipping our morning coffee. It is truly the only time we each have that is uninterrupted and it's only 30 minutes long!! After that, we play Krissy's game of "Pretend you don't know us" with the girls!! Cruel aren't we??!! Don't worry, they never play along!!













We have gone to the beach a few times where I have now added sink holes and sand pits to my list of things to worry about (who's going to do the scanning for sharks now??). We went to Krissy's beach today and she and I put our chairs in the water and watched the kids out on the raft (with their fathers and life jackets) and revelled in the peace and quiet. We entertained each other with pretending to tell all of them things like, "Don't hurry back now, you hear?!" and predicting how long before the men would send the kids back to shore to us (not long, by the way...).
I also can't believe what a big role food seems to play in summer activities. My kids seem to have developed voracious appetites and everything we do seems to include requests for ice-cream, drinks, hamburgers, popsicles, strawberries, you name it!! Speaking of strawberries, since the first time we went picking we ended up being soaked by a rainstorm, we headed off Wednesday evening to pick some more. Afterwards, I suggested going to the Green Hill look-off amid much eye-rolling. They all ended up eating their words as they agreed the view is incredible and they seemed open to my idea of visiting there some night to watch the sunset. I am holding myself to that one...

Well, I've probably bored you to tears with my summertime ramblings. I will continue on my mission to "find summer" and squeeze all of the good out of it. Next up is planning a whale-watching trip...a dream come true for me, and hopefully all age groups in my family!!

Here's to having fun!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...