My trouble spot...


Trouble spots...we all have them, and I'm not talking about thick ankles, frizzy hair, or knobby knees. I'm talking about the decorating kind...almost as irritating, but easier on the self-esteem. My trouble spot is my master bedroom. Always has been. It is the room I give the least attention to. It houses the cast-offs from the rest of my house and has a very disjointed feel to it (at least in my mind). I have three good elements in it: the bed (footboard and headboard), and our bedside tables. The rest I could toss into a dumpster and never look back.my current bedroom: summer edition

I don't know why my bedroom has always suffered from the fate of the ugly duckling role. Over the years, finances, lack of motivation, and impulsive purchases have all played their part. I own three rather nice quilts/coverlets, but none wow me and make me breathe that happy sigh when my eyes rest upon them. Paint colour has been an obstacle, too, and I have had three yellow bedrooms (including my present one), one blue, one taupe, and one green ( a light and fresh shade), and they have all basically left me cold.
another shot of my current bedroom
Monday morning, I awoke with a fresh resolve to take this bull by the horns and recreate my bedroom into a space that I love. I lay in bed that morning making mental sketches as to what I would like it to look like. I mulled over colours, lighting (my ugly, but necessary ceiling fan just broke...I can now justify pitching it), and bedding. Then came the self-doubt. Would I actually achieve a look that I wouldn't tire of in a year; would it be all that I hoped; and would it be worth the effort? I immediately began dreading the prep work required to get it ready to paint, the continued ( and so far fruitless) search for the perfect drum shade to be made into the perfect overhead ceiling fixture (there is no way I'm going to keep up an ugly, non-functioning fan), and the additional search for the perfect, affordable bedding needed to pull off a smart look. It is so much easier to do this for a client than myself. What I have to work with is not really what I want...not to mention budgetary restrictions and a creeping feeling of laziness washing over me...
Well, here is my plan...if I can summon up the ambition to carry out said plan:
1. Paint the room in a cool taupe (so not typically me...I rarely paint walls in this colour as I fear being beige and boring) and the ceiling in a cool shade of blue. I think the combination will be lovely.
2. Make my own drum shade overhead ceiling fixture. I was intending to install a great chandelier, but I feel the need to break my personal decorating mold...
3. Paint my dressers either cream or a washed out blue...add crystal knobs and pulls.
photo: Better Homes and Gardens

4. Purchase new bedding

5. Purchase brown velvet curtain panels (for the fall and winter season )to be replaced with airy white panels in summer...

6. Find the perfect wall art for my room .
photo: House Beautiful

Oyy...I feel all that inital drive draining from my body...Somebody please give me a pep talk to get me excited about the proposed change again...Somebody...help....!!!
Just to give you an idea as to where I'm headed with this, here are some more inspiration photos I aspire to:

photo: Design Inc.

photo: Cottage Chic Store

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...