It's Begining to Smell a lot like Christmas

Its Christmas time again, and every year I deal with the same dilemma. What is a minimalist girl to do with so many fussy decorations? As a child , I remember Christmas being a very stressful time for me, and only now do I realize that it was all the muss and fuss that drove me crazy. As an adult, I have often rebelled against the whole decorating thing. (I am not protesting Christmas...just the decorations). But this year my son is old enough to be aware of his environment and started asking, " Where is my Christmas tree?", so I decided to put one up for him.
All this got me thinking, "What is it that I love about Christmas?". I realized what I love is the wonderful aromas. Pine, rosemary, cinnamon, hot chocolate, fire places; these are definitely the things that say Christmas to me. So I've come up with a new form of holiday decorating, "Fragrance Decorating", (I'm still working on the name).
So first, I ran out and looked for a wonderful Christmas candle. My favorite place to look for candles is Kuhl-Linscomb. Anytime someone travels to Houston, Kuhl-Linscomb is a must see. After testing many candles, I chose "Frasier Fir", from Thymes. Very lovely, I also like the fir tree graphic on the container.
Second, I went on a hunt for fresh plants. I drove to River Oaks Plant House. This place is a real treat for the senses. Fresh pine trees, natural garlands, and beautiful flowers, will really put you in the Christmas mood.
So, I can finally say that I have found a form of holiday decorating that makes me happy. My hope is that anyone else who struggles with the same aversion to crazy Christmas decorating, will find something that appeals to their senses.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...