"Dishing" with The Junk Market Girls...!!!

all photos: Junk Market projects...

If you don't already know who these two powerhouses of creativity are, then just visit the website http://www.junkmarketstyle.com/ and you'll soon learn that one woman's junk really is another woman's treasure! According to their website, "In 2000, Ki and Sue started JUNKMARKET, a successful retail business that sources, transforms and sells good junk... Today, the JUNKMARKET hosts two annual sales that draw thousands, some coming from as far as New York and California. You could say these two JUNKMASTERS are on the cutting edge of a movement that's ready for their expertise...
Not only have the JUNKMASTERS succeeded in the retail business, the rest of the country has now discovered them. Ki and Sue have been editors-at-large and columnists for Country Home Magazine since 2003, and appear regularly on HGTV's 'Country Style.' They have made numerous other television appearances including the Today Show. Their book "Decorating Junkmarket Style: Repurposed Junk To Suit Any Décor" was released on March 8, 2005 and is available in stores and online. The ladies' next book is scheduled to hit the shelves Spring 2008. The premier issue of their magazine hit newsstands on May 2, 2006. Ki and Sue designed unique home accessory products that were sold at Target stores. What's on the horizon? They are working on a television series, crafting a nationwide junking club, and are sought-after public speakers on junking, transforming, and styling junk.
From the beginning, the JUNKMASTERS had a mission: to pursue their passion and share it with others. And, that's something they'll never transform."
An Interview with Sue Whitney and Ki Nassauer of Junk Market fame…


RH (Restyled Home): As some may not know, Junk Market evolved from a chance meeting in a hockey rink, while watching your sons play, almost a decade ago. How did this shared passion for turning junk into treasure grow so quickly into the huge success it is today? Or more importantly, why do you think it has caught on so well?

Sue Whitney: I think styling with junk has always been popular, but on an under-cover basis. Some people were just not willing to admit that they decorated with second-hand goods. Throughout our careers as junkmasters we have proven that there is no reason to be shy about junk. It offers people the ability to create their own individual style, save money, and recycle all at the same time. What could be better?

RH: I love that you both defy many of the "do's and don'ts" of the design world, and go on instinct, inherent good taste and creativity when reworking that which many of us would simply discard or pass by. What did your families say when you decided to join forces and pursue this dream of building a business out of dignifying "junk"?? Did any one think you were crazy to take this approach??

Ki Nassauer: You must mean my husband. The first piece of junk I brought into our marriage was a chippy, wobbly turquoise chest of drawers that showed obvious signs of being used in a garage as a work bench. I placed it in our front foyer and he asked if I had dragged 'this ugly piece of junk' out of the lake. I just smiled. I did repair the wobbles but left it's perfect brownish, blackish, turquoisish patina for all our guests to admire. He didn't get it.

Years later when I announced I was opening a warehouse to sell junk to the public, he was mildly entertained by the concept. (I had owned a retail store for 25 years.) When he realized I was only planning to be open 3 days a month...he thought I was crazy! He gets it now.


Sue: I have always shared my passion for junk with my kids. But, yes they did think I was crazy when we started the business. I think I got the hardest time from my now 22 year old son, A.J. After he started working for us loading cars he started warming up to the idea. He could not believe all of the men and women who would stand in line waiting for the market to open. Now he wants me to help him decorate his house with junk. Imagine that!

RH: I have asked this question of other artists, and I think it is a question many are wondering about: Do you ever suffer from creative block, and find yourselves gazing dully at the junk? If so, how do you get re-inspired?

Ki: Only when I get overwhelmed with travel, deadlines, and overscheduling. Gee, that could be all the time. Fortunately all it takes for me to get back on track is a visit to a flea market or a stroll through a favorite junk haunt. Magazines are my next best form of inspiration. I love shelter magazines as well as my favorite catalogue, Sundance. I will revisit a magazine 5 or more times.

Sue: I don’t think I have ever gazed dully at a piece of junk because there is always a project hiding inside of it. If I get stuck with a piece I set it aside and move on to something else. Ideas for those items I am pondering usually come to me at about 2 in the morning. Up and at ‘em! If I’m feeling uninspired a trip to a flea market, junk shop, or antique store will always get the creative juices flowing.


RH: You are obviously great friends and successful business partners. But, as warm-blooded women on the hunt for the same stuff, what do you do when you both spy a diamond in the rough that you'd both like for your personal collections? Do you always thrift together, or do you divide and conquer; and do you find it difficult to decide what to keep for yourselves and what to sell to others?


Sue: These are all interesting questions. As for our personal collections, there is rarely a tussle over an item. Ki’s style and tastes are very different from my own. She goes for the more whimsical stuff, while I am in search of junk with a European or industrial flair. We used to shop together often, but these days with everything we have going on it’s more about divide and conquer. I only buy what I find interesting, so it is often times difficult to part with. I had to develop a rule for myself to make sure the junk doesn’t all come home with me. After I buy it has to be transported where I can’t see it. Places like my trunk, the back of the pick up, or in a trailer. If it’s inside my car it will more than likely take up residence in my house.

Ki: With our schedules as crazy as they have been, we are usually on separate hunting trips. We do like some of the same junk but our homes are decorated very differently. I'm not sure what to call my decorating style . I collect industrial,carnival,modern, primitive, colorful...I guess you could say Happy Junk.

RH: Now that the holidays are near, we are all anxious to see what you both have up your sleeves for the Christmas season. However, we'd also love to know what are your favourite Christmas decorations/ornaments that you have created in the past "out of a sow's ear"??

Sue: My favorite Christmas decoration is my tree skirt. It is fashioned out of an old army blanket and vintage men’s ties. It’s quite a conversation piece. Our family tree is decorated mostly with objects found in nature. Hydrangea, sticks, pine cones, feathers, pods, etc. All the naturals are enhanced with vintage keys, clock faces, and ornate spindles. What’s my holiday attire? Every Christmas Eve I wear a festive skirt also made from ties and given to me by a friend of mine. The label reads “Fit to be Tied”. What a clever girl!


Ki: So far my favorite holiday project is one I just finished for the American Junk Club winter newsletter. It is a vintage ladder redesigned to display holiday cards and photos. It was just one of those ideas that worked really well and it is so easy to make!! RH: Let's pretend for a moment that you don't have the junking opportunities that your favourite haunts provide. If you were to make a Christmas gift or decoration for each other, for under $20, what would you create using items found in a small-scale hardware store?

Ki: A key board for Sue's back hallway so she can always find her keys...metalic silver pegboard, fancy wood trim (painted antique bronze), pegboard hooks and metal containers from the electrical or hvac area .


Sue: I would make Ki a necklace fashioned from leather cord and what ever small hardware pieces struck me at the moment. Perhaps I would use tiny springs and washers. I do love hardware stores. Employees are often baffled by my responses when they inquire if they can help me find something for my project. After the strange looks, they usually have fun with me and set their own creativity into motion.

RH: How do your personal styles differ, and how do you compromise when you disagree on the design direction of a Junk Market transformation?

Ki: We say I dress like Sue decorates...more traditional, and she dresses like I decorate...more on the wild side.
With JunkMarket Style, we choose to incorporate all design directions and not feel tied down to one look, particularly since our own design styles are constantly progressing
.



Sue: I call Ki’s style “Good Humor” and mine, “European Industrial”. The more playful the junk the better it is for Ki. I like the more understated stuff with a punch of unexpected urban industrial trappings. Sometimes we agree to disagree on a project and we scrap it. Usually we are able to find common ground.


RH: One last holiday related question: Many homeowners love to "change things up" from year to year with their Christmas decorating. What new Christmas decorating idea or colour scheme will you be trying in your own homes this year?

Sue: I very rarely employ the traditional red and green color story in my holiday décor. As I said before, I lean towards naturals. This year I’m stepping out on a limb and incorporating bright oranges and a limey green. I’m allergic to pine so I use a lot of boxwood and magnolia leaves.

Ki: I'm actually not sure yet! I sold all my decorations at my garage sale. (except, of course, the ornaments my kids made) I'm ready for a new look. I just might have to spend a little time at one of my fav junk spots for inspiration!
Thanks for letting us share our stories with you and your readers!


RH: Thank you ladies, so much, for sharing your thoughts and creativity. You have a huge following in the blogging community and we are thrilled to get to know you both a little better…!
***************************************************
** If you liked this post, check out this more recent interview with Ki Nassauer , about the divergence of Junk Market and Junk Revolution.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...