The Darker Side of Things





I admit it, I am drawn to the light and airy. A client recently told me that I am a "water" person: drawn to colours that are paler, watery, pastel, etc. She hit the nail on the head. I don't discriminate though! I can go into someone's home who decorates in darker or brighter colours and absolutely love them. However, in my own home, I need to be surrounded by light. It lifts my mood and puts a spring in my step.
I wasn't always this way. A decade ago, I was more into the darker shades. I found them warm and cozy and they felt more "homey" to me. My preference probably reflected the popular styles of the time. Country still meant plaids and ginghams and primitive accessories. Certainly, some had already made the switch and "shabby chic" was coming on board in a big way. the essence of Modern Country and vintage style were on the cusp of becoming mainstream style influences. I, however, although taking large steps forward towards lightening things up, was probably still 50% "dark".
The new approach to "dark" is via earth tones. Taupes, browns, olive shades, reds, dark yellows, and earthy orange hues are definitely in vogue. In the opinion of my afore-mentioned client, people drawn to these shades are "earthy people". These shades make them feel grounded in their homes. I think it all goes back to wanting comfort and coziness. It's not sophisticated in some circles to aim for cozy. Perhaps some feel cozy equates itself with cute, which is one of my least favorite descriptives for someone's home. Cute is acceptable for little kid's rooms, but most of us would prefer a more grown-up compliment for the rest of our home.
As for cozy, I think it conjures up good emotions. A cozy house is one where people feel at home, can sink into a chair and enjoy good conversation. I think this should be the aim for every home. Frankly, I feel that those that look like they are ready for a photo shoot just aren't as welcoming. I think it can be easier to achieve cozy when decorating with earth tones. The key is to temper the darkness with light-heartedness. Introduce objects or art that is not too formal. Formality can be comfortable, but the overall feel of the room should be welcoming. After all, what's the point of decorating a home to be too perfect. Too much perfection can make your guests ill at ease...and I think we all want to avoid that. So go ahead...enjoy the darker, more earthy shades. And please, if I come to visit, let me plop into a comfy chair and revel in the coziness and sophistication that comes with this style...and if you ever need some "water", come on over to my home - barefeet are always welcome!!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...