Making an Entrance!!













I love doors and I think the color of a front door is one of the most important exterior decorating decisions, aside from siding and shingle color. I love a door that draws my eyes to it as I drive by. Now that doesn't mean the colour has to be vibrant! In fact, the colour of your front door should make sense....whether it be a contrasting colour or blend in tone with the rest of the outside of the home.

Iam a bit quirky. Every house but my first has been a shade of yellow. Don't ask me why, it is just something I have to do to feel at home. I love a yellow house! To me, yellow siding evokes a farmhouse feel, is fresh and pretty, and makes me smile when I see one. That said, door color can be challenging when you have a yellow house. Navy, burgundy, and dark green do not reflect my personal style as I am drawn towards the softer shades for my own home. Thus, I have had cream, taupe, black, and back again to taupe, doors. These colours complimented the particular shades of yellow siding I have used on my homes. They were colours I selected to work with the trims and accents I decorated the exterior of my homes with. That brings me to garage doors. There is a general rule that you should not match the colour of your garage door to the colour of your front door if it is a strong colour. I am not normally too fixated on rules but this is a rule I whole-heartedly agree with! I believe a garage should blend into the background, especially if you have one of those great, carriage-style garage doors that have enough style without drowning in colour.

I have addressed the importance of lighting before. Again, step away from the common and select lighting that speaks to your style and complements the style of your home. If you live near the water, try exterior lights that have a "Nantucket" feel. If your home is traditional, select similar lighting- traditional, but not boring! Craftsman-style lighting looks great with bungalows and houses that have reflect the Arts and Crafts style. Hanging lanterns look beautiful on homes with front porches or porticos. Go for the wow factor out front and to stay on budget, use lighting that is more subdued (and cheaper) out back,

Mailboxes are another "new" exterior feature that you can have fun selecting. Vintage styles can now be found in stores or you can make your own out of wood (or purchase it ready-made) and embellish it the way you like. Select house numbers to match the finish on your door handle and your home will ooze style! Have fun with selecting these exterior finishes. you may not think they are important, but trust me, when you see the end result, you will be proud!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...