To theme...or not to theme



I like themes...hoever, I tiptoe around them for fear of them exploding. What I mean by this is that themes can grow exponentially. They can become like a disease and become out of control. Take children's rooms for instance. Little Sally wants a Barbie room. We've all had requests like this. Barbie bedding, Barbie (cringe) wallpaper border, Barbie lamp, curtains, etc, etc. Some of us are giving enough to cave into themes like that. I, however, would be inclined to inject tasteful touches of Barbie (like framed Barbie outfits in shadowbox frames, Barbie sheets, a Barbie nightlight). I confess to loving certain themes if they suit my tastes. If my sons were still young enough there is no doubt in my mind they would be staring at a vintage cowboy- themed bedroom! Yes, some themes are downright acceptable, but where do we, as individuals, draw the line?

Several houses ago, I was in love with pineapples as a decorating symbol, not theme. I had a garden flag with one on it, and a pineapple door knocker which I loved, and some other nods to this symbol of welcome. Sadly, I let them go as a nearby house adopted pineapples as well, so it was time for me to "move on". Stars, too, have always been a recurring theme in my homes. I always place one in each front window along with a single electric candle light. I can't seem to give the lights or stars up despite them becoming so popular. Stars are popular because they are so good. As long as your home doesn't look like a constellation display, then all is well. As for me, in the summer I replace the stars in the window with starfish...talk about a departure!!!

I would have to say that my new recurring "theme" involves our feathered friends. I love the colour robin's egg blue, nests with eggs, porcelain monochromatic birds (no parrots here!), and I always stop in my tracks when I see such delicate beauties. I try to limit the number of such treasures, but I probably have at least one nod to this collection in each of my rooms. Is it a theme and is it o.k.? I think so and I hope so. I guess it boils down to whether we each love our own "themes" and whether they can be simply discovered throughout our homes or are screaming out "look at me!"

My next attempt at "tasteful theming" will be this summer when I transform my mantle into a beachy display of seaside treasures. You can be the judge of whether I have kept it tasteful or over the top!! Coming soon...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...