Open Shelving

















I finally have open shelving in my kitchen and it makes me as happy as I thought it would! Although it is not for everyone, I find open shelving looks beautiful and is convenient for the cook to quickly grab a needed pot or dish. They add personality and style to a kitchen and force us to be neat and tidy and eliminate from view, that which we do not need. I personally use my open shelving for my everyday dishware and glasses, thus the problem of things getting dusty is not an issue, as everything goes through the dishwasher on a regular basis. That said, I made sure that I love my everyday dishes! You wouldn't want to stare at ugly,mismatched cups and plates 24 hrs a day! I also display little treasured objects like my iron bird collection, lacework plates, and my beloved cream pitcher from my Auntie Jean.
Some people are scared of open shelving because they are afraid it will look unfinished. It is important to select shelves and brackets that complement (notice I didn't say match) your cabinetry. Choose a glossy finish so they will wipe clean easily and be sure to space the shelves adequately so that you will be able to stand up your plates if desired. My shelves have a simple routered edge and I purchased my brackets at Lee Valley Tools. Now is a great time to find brackets, though, as the stores have many to choose from in their seasonal/garden sections. If you are opting for open shelving within a cabinet that has glass doors, consider painting the backs of the cupboards a pretty colour that will make your displayed items "pop". Have fun with it and display what you love. Chances are if it looks great to you, it will to others as well!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...