A touch of pink in a master bedroom...







I don't know what it is with master bedrooms. So many people, including myself, tend to put off decorating this space with the similar attention to detail that we give to the other rooms in our home. Maybe it is our altruistic nature; we put the rooms of our children and the common areas in our homes first. I know in my home, I tend to put the most focus on the rooms that are most seen by guests and therefore my decorating budget for the master bedroom is pretty thin by the time I'm ready to address it. I often relegate the "cast-offs" from other rooms to my master bedroom and do my best to make it work.

I firmly believe it is much easier to decorate when you are starting from scratch and/or have a generous budget. When people tend to run into difficulty is when budget is strict and we have to incorporate the belongings that we have collected over the years. I am not one to be too fixated with everything matching. I like things to be co-ordinated, but I like the element of surprise that an unmatched set can bring. Unfortunately, it is more difficult to coax a cohesive look from a hodgepodge of belongings. Thus, more skill is required and sometimes even "rose-coloured glasses" are needed to help us live with what we have until we can make that great purchase that will bring together the look we are going for.


Bedding is probably the most important purchase you will make when decorating your room. We all know that in most bedrooms the bed is the focal point; but you can have the most beautiful bed frame, and if the bedding is not right the whole look suffers! I love the look of layering on a bed. Gone are the days when bedskirts had to match the coverlet which matched the shams which matched the curtains, etc. It is much more pleasing to "mix things up" and instead have a unifying colour. Accessories in the bedroom are also key. Choose what you really love and display them in different ways. Showcase them by elevating them on small books , illuminate them by placing a beautiful lamp nearby, or frame them in a shadowbox on the wall. I once saw a shadowbox picture that contained the candle from a child's first birthday cake. The simplicity and sentimentality of it was lovely.


When choosing lamps, select ones that are the right scale for the bedside tables they rest on. They are there to provide adequate lighting for late night reading but should also be attractive to look at it and co-ordinate with the "look" of your room. If you have a mismatched bedroom furniture set, unify it by painting it the same colour and add matching drawer pulls and knobs. Make do with what you have, but give your room (and yourself) the attention it deserves! After all, we are just as important as our guests!!


( the top right photo is my before shot...my room is a work in progress with dressers that need painting and I am always on the hunt for "the right accessories". Sigh...I don't know if I'll ever be satisfied with it!!) The top left photo is, in my opinion, pink done well (although I think it is a little girl's room!!).
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...