Into the dungeon I go...


I hate dealing with my basement storage area. I feel extra pressure because home organization is one of the services I provide and my basement and garage are like my dirty little secrets right now. I don't, however, accept any blame in this matter. I organize and re-organize both spaces each season and it makes very little difference. The problem is my otherwise great husband. He is messy, messy, messy. He can make a whirlwind out of order within 24 hrs. Unfortunately, he seems to have passed on this trait to our youngest son! I pack up the Halloween decorations and my youngest two decide to have a haunted house in mid-July! Out come the carefully packed costumes. Hockey season sees my hubby's hockey gear strewn all around the basement floor precisely blocking my easy access to the Christmas decorations.

The garage is a sore spot for me right now, too. I am awaiting additional shelving to be made by my handy-man husband, but alas, he wants me to go through any and every rubbermaid container to see if I can get rid of any of my "junk" (which always means decorative stuff). Meanwhile, he drops his tools as he goes and doesn't see anything wrong with having six sawhorses lying around waiting for building projects to be started... if he could only get to the tablesaw that he surrounded with outgoing recyclables.

I know the rules and techniques to bringing order to chaotic spaces. I am very good at it! I can whip a cluttered space into shape in no time flat. Initially resistant clients end up being able to anticipate what should stay or go and do so willingly after getting through just half a room with me. They are thrilled with the results and vow to keep it organized forever more. However, herein lies the problem in my own household: my family realize I am always striving for the order I can so easily create for my clients. They know I will become the taskmaster because it will drive me to the brink of despair to wait for them to keep the order. I realize that I am my own worst enemy!!

Despite all this desire to be organized in every facet of my home, I take to heart the words of Cobi Ladner, editor of House and Home magazine, in last month's issue. In her editorial piece she wrote of the temptation to organize her own garage using expensive storage systems, pretty the garage up so it will be a space to enjoy being in, and know where exactly every lawn implement and skipping rope is at first glance. She said that by doing all this we are essentially expanding the spaces that we now have to keep clean and tidy. Don't we have enough to do? I am in almost total agreement with her...I will forge ahead with my plan for wall storage for all those storage bins, hang bike racks and sport bins, and then close the door behind me and hope I don't trip over those tools that have fallen where they may...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...