Silhouettes...and Skippy!


I have long been a fan of silhouettes. I remember seeing them as a little girl and wondering who those lovely ladies were and what did they really look like. Fast forward a couple of decades and I finally found one of my very own. About a year ago, I was at our local fleamarket and finding very little I liked, was starting to head home. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted it!! A lone little silhouette of a small boy and, inscribed in black ink, the name "Skippy". Skippy...I felt my breath catch...I have a "Skippy". Well, not actually a Skippy, but a "Skipper"!!

My eldest son was nicknamed "Skipper" by my husband when he was still an infant. Why, you might ask? I have no idea, but that is the name that he was dubbed at such a tender age. He is the only one to call him that, and he continues to call him Skipper when the mood strikes. Well... back at the flea market, I had to have that picture. I knew that silhouettes are very hard to come by in this neck of the woods, so I was prepared for the lady to quote me some over-inflated price. As prepared as I was to hear a ludicrous price, I was ill-prepared to buy it, as only a five-dollar bill was crumpled in my pocket. I held my breath as she replied, "Just give me a dollar." "A dollar", I repeated, trying to be nonchalant and sure she could see my hand tremble as I turned over the money. Finally I was having one of those treasure finding moments and it was only costing me a dollar!!!!!

This little silhouette of "Skippy" inspired me to start making my own silhouette pictures. My first creations were halloween related silhouettes- a witch on her broom, an owl, a black bird, etc. I am hooked! If I can't find any more vintage silhouettes, I am determined to make my own.
I have created some for client's spaces and for family and friends (I made a humble interpretation of my friend, pregnant). It just goes to show: if you can't find or afford what you want, try to make or recreate it yourself. You just might be surprised at your own talents!!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...