A dazzling front entry...and more



I do not have a dazzling front entry. I actually have the smallest foyer I have ever had in all my housebuilding history. My house is a back-split bungalow and in a bungalow, you have to squeeze as much living as you can into them. Instead, I opted to have a great mudroom which I really love and works well for our family. I do, however, love those homes that have large inviting foyers to greet guests. You know the kind- those that have large sweeping staircases, hall tables with fresh flowers on them. Lovely...

Overall, today's modern homes have gotten away from these details and instead use their space to host large kitchens, supersize bathrooms and walk-in closets. Are we exchanging style for size? We seem to place less emphasis on architectural features; in fact, building contractors are bleeding us with upcharges for things like more substantial mouldings and wainscoting that were quite standard in the homes of yesteryear. We are essentially building big boxes with lack-lustre finishes, unless we can afford to cough up the extra cash for finer details. So, it is no wonder that beautiful front entries have gone out the window...or the back door!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...