"The thinks you can think, if only you try..." (Dr. Seuss)

I am a part-time scrapbooker. What I mean by that is I get heavily into "scrapping" a couple times per year. Usually in the winter, when life is more centered on being indoors, and when my pile of photos becomes overwhelming. Scrapbooking appeals to me for mainly two reasons. I am a very sentimental person and I want to honour my photos/memories and slapping them into a cheap album that will digest them over time strikes fear in my heart. Secondly, I have a terrible memory. I feel like I have spongy holes in my brain where information, and more importantly, memories get lost. Scrapbooking these memories symbolizes, to me, a place where I can go to get these memories back.

My first experience with the myriad of scrapbooking supplies out there didn't begin with their intended purpose. No, I tend to look at things and think- how can I use these items in a different way? So, in fact, I started making things (pictures, trinkets, etc.) out of these wonderful supplies before it was the norm to do so. I love the story, The Princess and the Pea, so I decided to make a picture using scrapbooking stickers and paper for Sophie's room. I had a fake peapod that for some reason (I have no idea), I had held onto for a few years. I glued it on to the picture I made and viola! Very satisfying!!






I also created a clothesline for her room by cutting clothing shapes out freeform and stringing them on scrapbooking threads. That was fun and turned out quite nice. I also often cover stretcher canvases from the Dollar Store with pretty paper and mount things to it. Cheap and easy art that even a child can do. It's also a great way to showcase a child's treasures.


Speaking of kids, I even used scrapbooking paper to decorate Sophie's Barbie house. I have to admit I had more than a little fun "wallpapering" the little house and using stickers and embellishments for Barbie's decor. I was a real Barbie girl as a child so I didn't have to go very far to find my imagination in my attempt to create a "dream house" for Sophie. I also went through a phase where I made all kinds of things for a "Sweet Shop" for Sophie and her friends. I even designed a menu for them to use when visiting the "shop"...who's the kid here?!?!

My point is, and I do have one, use your creativity and think outside the box when decorating your home (in this case, child's space). Take a trip to your local scrapbook store. You will be amazed at all the treasures that are at your fingertips, ready for your imagination...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...