The art of washing dishes

black sink and yellow kitchen from:http://www.dezeug.nl/keuken.asp


I am probably one of the rare few who doesn't mind washing a few dishes. Now, don't get me wrong...I have a dishwasher and use it everyday. I'm not dumb, I know there are better things in life than washing dishes and technology is there to help us. However, if we all had our dishwashers taken away, (GASP!!) I wouldn't be shedding that many tears...or wailing with my sister!!

I was probably a late bloomer when it came to owning a dishwasher. I didn't get one until I was married for six years. We even built our first home as newlyweds without one, as we had to cut corners and that seemed like as good a place as any. Wendy, my sister, would scold me about the ridiculousness of my plight (she HATES washing dishes) and even advised me to buy a portable one that I could bring to the inevitable rentals we lived in between moves!



The years when I washed my dishes by hand are associated with happy times. I can still picture my sons at my feet, driving cars or trains over my toes, and playing hide-and-seek in my skirt (I love skirts!). I always used the time spent scrubbing pots and pans to chat on the phone with a friend and catch up on our days. There was even something therapeutic about staring out the kitchen window in a trance. The warm water felt good on my constantly dried out hands (I refuse to ever wear rubber gloves...too June Cleaver!). I always finished the chore with a good scrubbing of the sink with Comet...that smell will be forever familiar to me. I draw the line at drying dishes...I always fought to get the washing up when I was a kid. There was something satisfying to me about getting the dishes clean...drying them just seemed so dull! And I do like to put my dish soap in a pretty bottle...that idea I got from Wendy!! She truly is the "dishwasher queen" in our family, and did a funny post about that claim to fame. She is a bit obsessive about loading the dishwasher just so. I never load her dishwasher...my nerves can't take it!!
Now that I have, in my opinion, my prettiest sink faucet and view from my kitchen window, I have a dishwasher that I always put to use. I still scrub my pots and pans, of course, but it's not the same. I guess it is a reflection of my lifestyle, too. I have older kids who are constantly on the go, and I have to be ready to go too. I do love my dishwasher...but if it ever breaks down, I won't be frozen in my tracks with fear. I'll just fill up my sink with some bubbly, warm water and plunge in up to my elbows...but not before making a quick call to the appliance repair man. After all, I'm a modern woman aren't I??!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...