Kids of Steel !!!



Our youngest son competed on Saturday in the annual Kids of Steel triathlon at Melmerby Beach. I guess I shouldn't say competed as it was considered a non-competitive event, but try telling that to an eleven year old!! That said, he did finish second in his age group!! Ahem... as I was saying, it was a fun day for him and it was his first ever triathlon. For his age group, he had to swim 150 m, bike 10 km, and run two km. It was 30 degrees (92 farenheit) and sooo hot!! He seemed to be sailing through until he got a stitch near the end and had to walk a bit. (I, of course, was worried he was getting heatstroke and feared he'd drop...). It was a well-planned event and it was so nice to see kids putting forth so much effort to do their personal best and have a lot of fun (I can't imagine calling running and biking in that heat fun, but then again I'm not an athlete). His Dad is up next as he is competing in the sprint version of the adult triathlon on Sunday. His swim distance is 750 m, the bike is 20km and the run is 5km. Glad it's not me...!!!

***This determined little guy is a friend's son. He is only five years old and was so cute...waterwings and training wheels...it just goes to show that it pays to get them started in athletics at a young age! Sophie is determined that next year she is competing (oops, I mean participating) too!!!














Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...