Goin' on a picnic, leaving right away...














Well, I've had enough of my own moaning about the weather. But just in case you think I'm just exaggerating and whining, here is a picture of the HAIL we got on Saturday...lovely!!






I woke up today with a fierce determination that I would not be daunted by the weather any longer. I was going to pack up the kids and go on a picnic. I have spoken before about the merits of picnicking, and I was bound and determined to heed my own words... A quick call to a couple of good friends and my plan was underway!

Well, just to show you how easy it is to pack up a picnic for five (me, my kids, and my son's friend), I thought I'd take a picture of a sample picnic survivor pack. The only thing missing is my picnic blanket and some sunscreen, both of which I leave in my car, and one of which I wouldn't be needing (okay, okay, no more complaining...).

Here it is: packed inside a cheap bag from the Dollar Store (but pretty cute, if I do say so myself) is a flask with something to drink, napkins, sandwiches (keep them simple...you can fall back on the old standard: everything tastes better in the outdoors), some cookies, chips, fresh fruit, and a frisbee. That's it...unless of course you have a baby!!

Well, we headed off to a great park about a 15 min. drive away that is on the bank of a shallow river. The kids had great fun throwing rocks, crossing the river bank, and blowing bubbles that Meredith was smart enough to bring. They were a huge hit!! Then we headed off to the local farmers market to get ice cream, another huge hit (and hugely expensive at $2.50 for a small cone). I must be nuts... I made all my kids promise not to tell hubby about the price!!



We had a great day and I am lucky that I have friends good enough to agree to spontaneous outings like that. I think spur of the moment picnics are the best picnics of all!

I rushed back home to go with hubby to get our new camper. Lo and behold, we still didn't bring it home with us...hubby spotted some rust on the hitch and asked that they fix it. How does a new camper have rust on it so soon? Hmmm... Everything else seemed fine so we'll pick it up tomorrow.

Back at home, I decided to go ahead with my planned pasta night. We had linguine with two types of sauces...alfredo and a creamy tomato sauce, bruschetta and garlic bread. I was inspired by Heather and her delicious looking bruschetta, so I had to satisfy my craving... Now, before you think I pulled a "Martha", I must confess everything was purchased ready to eat from the grocery store, except I did have to spread the bruschetta topping on the bread. Exhausting!! It was pretty good but certainly tasted like it had grocery store origins. I ended my day by tidying up/organizing the garage to make room for the new camper. I don't mind saying I'm exhausted!! I can't even sleep in tomorrow as it is my eldest son's 13th birthday party and I am hosting twenty teen and preteen kids! I feel a headache coming on... Wish me luck!!

*** disclaimer: Those wine glasses didn't get used in the making of this picture. They were promptly replaced by scratched glasses filled with water, and the kids got plastic cups and cheap, white napkins. No sense wasting my GOOD dollar store napkins on ungrateful children!!! The candles were just for the heck of it. I always get accused of getting all fancy when I bring them out!! It all made for a prettier picture though...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...