A Retrospective...



It's funny how life turns out differently than what you plan as a youth. I remember being on the cusp of high school graduation, having pulled up my socks after a "healthy" dose of teenage partying years, and being ready for what my future would hold. I was going to live my dream, yes I was. I was headed off to university to take my Bachelor of Nursing.
I was enrolled in nursing because every stupid computer program I was "assessed by" pumped out the same response: I was perfect for a job in the caring professions. I'd try altering some answers each time I did it, and always the same result- doctor, nurse, guidance counsellor, social worker... Well, I knew I didn't want to be a doctor...way too much school, work, requires memory. I had no idea what a social worker did back then and all I knew was that I could not stand to bear witness to any abused children and their offenders. As for being a guidance counsellor...well I took one look at the bored teacher in front of me doling out some really bad advice and thought...nah!! So, I listened to the computer, heard my father's words in my head,"nurses make good money" (which I knew I'd be needing), and headed off to UNB in Fredericton.

My dreams for the future included moving to Toronto or Montreal or somewhere terribly chic, getting myself a trendy flat (not apartment). Being wise and all, I knew I wouldn't have much money left over for decorating. So I figured, the only purchases I'd make would be a bed, a couple of chairs to sit on ( I really thought this!), and (are you ready?) a baby grand piano!! I had always wanted to play the piano... desperately! After work, I'd fit in my piano lessons, practice a bit on my baby grand, and rush out to meet friends at some artsy- fartsy or trendy nightclub. Phew...I'd be busy, but happy!!!
Screech!!! Instead, on the very first day at university, ordering male frosh to help us "helpless females" unload our meagre belongings into our rooms, was a hunky older guy in a hard hat (part of the boss thing???) Turns out it was my future husband! We started dating in October, and never looked back. But wait a minute you ask, did you both head off to the city to fulfill your dream??? That's very funny...because future hubby was enrolled in Forest Engineering and gently told me that a city would never be in our future. "No worries", I responded. "As long as we're together..." (haven't we all muttered those words?)

Fast forward to now, and despite having initially taken me to a doozy of a small village which looked NOTHING like my former fantasy, we are happily nestled in our new little town where we both hope to someday retire. We're living a very domestic life with a house, three kids, two cats and plenty of furniture. I do have a piano, but it's not a baby and it ain't grand (it's a digital piano that sounds just like the real McCoy to my untrained ears). I did take piano lessons but only long enough to tinker happily...I play about three songs really well.

Do I long for my youthful dream?? Not a bit!! I was living in a bit of a fantasy world, which perhaps if I hadn't met my hubby so soon and young, I might possibly have experienced. But I know I wouldn't be as happy...not by a long shot. Because if I had listened to the little girl inside of me, I'd have remembered that she had always wanted to grow up to be a mum...happily married with a house and a car and that's that. That little girl spent hours playing with her Barbie house, decorating and re-decorating it, and she probably knew more than she thought she did about fore-telling the future. I guess the simple life is good enough for me. Besides, I never really liked nursing...!!!

Of course, I do still love cities and I am not sitting around knitting (because I can't), but I am quite content here in my little house. I will travel someday, but I will return happily to my Maritime roots. It is a slower pace here, some urbanites even think set back, but high fashion and head spinning activities aren't the be all end all of happiness...at least as far I'm concerned.

I'm content creating a home and a life that is pleasing to me and my family.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...