Fantasy vs Reality...


Here are a few pictures of my living room. It is a well used space and we all wander in and out of it throughout the day. Although we have a family room downstairs, we barely ever use it as such. It is a great hangout for the kids, but when we congregate as a family, it is always in the living room. I painted my walls a colour I love...one that has become a new neutral for me. It is called Silver Sage by Restoration Hardware. It looks different depending on the amount of light coming into the room, and although I initially feared it would be too cool a colour, it has been a great fit for my furniture and personality. I am calmed by cool, fresh colours but I didn't want the colour to be too watery as it had to work with each season (although lately it seems like we only have two: winter and not winter).


On the left of the photo is my slip-covered sofa; it serves us well and its linen colour adapts nicely to different coloured pillows. New furniture, for me, is not in the picture for some time, so slipcovering my existing pieces has been a great option. The cream pedestal style table was a happy acquisition for me...the owners of a home we purchased to flip gave it to me. It was a mahogany stain which didn't work with my decor, so a couple of coats of cream paint freshened it up nicely. I am not a purist when it comes to wood. If it works with my stuff I'll leave it; if not, I'm not opposed to painting it. It's all about making it work with my existing decor...and a little cream paint never hurt the look of any furniture piece!

The bottom photos are my fantasy rooms. They have all the components I would love to have in a living room. But, alas, I do not have access to that level of perfection. Budget and practicality with three growing kids makes it unattainable at present. As I've said before, it can be even more rewarding making do with what you have... if you tweak it and use your creative side. It's not always the pursuit of perfection, but the pursuit of happyness, just like in the movie!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...