Come what may...

photo: Victoria Magazine


I am a planner. I like to make lists, know what I'm going to be doing each weekend, and generally have some sort of schedule to follow. That said, I like to think I'm spontaneous too. I know I'm contradicting myself, but I guess what I'm trying to explain is that I'm usually up for anything. I love to have fun and have something on the go. I bore easily and have a hard time sitting still. I find it hard to truly relax, unless I'm engaged in some great conversation with a good cup of coffee in my hand.




Summer can present challenges for someone like me. I want to feel like I always have something to do, yet I rebel against having a schedule and miss my usual routine. I think it boils down to feeling like everyone else is doing something more exciting than me and feeling guilty for all the laziness of summer.


As my sister and her kids are visiting, today we headed off to Halifax. We were very torn about whether or not we should go, as we know taking so many kids off for a day of shopping and sightseeing can be a tad overwhelming. However, we had that feeling that we shouldn't just be hanging by the pool all the time. Vacations are meant to be non-stop activity aren't they? Well, it was hectic, and it was fun and it was stressful.


Upon our return, we decided we needed some girl's only time and headed off to a local pub to dine on their rooftop. It was relaxing, restorative and we enjoyed just chatting and catching up on being sisters and friends. I think that is what we all need to remember...that the best times aren't always the planned outings; but the lunches at the outdoor cafes, the last minute campfires where we roast marshmallows or make s'mores, impromptu barbeques on the deck, and the walks through town... window gazing or admiring others' gardens. We all need to decompress and feel o.k. about doing it.


I say, do we always have to try to make everything so magical? And why is it so frustrating when we plan an outing and hiccups along the way throw us for a loop? Like car sickness, teenage boredom at the outings we plan just to entertain them, jelly fish, and kids having their daily sibling squabbles? Obviously, I'm speaking from experience but luckily, I can muster up a good bout of amnesia when I need it and go on with planning my summer schedule...Or maybe that's exactly what I should be forgoing: schedules aren't for spontaneous people. Summer is the time for letting the wind take you where it may...Enjoy it!!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...