Treating windows right...

Nothing can send a homeowner into a spin like trying to decide on what type of window treatment to go with and then trying to find what they want in the right fabric and pattern. Window treatments are a very personal thing- subject to not only taste but also to the degree a person values their privacy. Some people like darkness more than others and some like to throw open the curtains and let the light in. Again, it boils down to whether you are traditional, formal, casual, modern, minimalist, cottagey, and so on...

Me, I'm a throw open the shutters kind of gal. I've gone from dressing my windows just so, to leaving some with no window treatment at all. I love light. I cringe when I drive by a home that leaves their blinds shut during the day or their curtains drawn. The only time I do that is when I'm sick; so being in a dark room during the day makes me feel a bit panicked...craving the sunlight.
In my opinion, you can't go wrong with the following: plantation shutters, white or cream rod pocket panels in a nice cotton, a translucent valance on a window that needs minimal decoration, velvet panels hung from a nice black rod (in the winter), matchstick or wooden blinds, simple cafe curtains, banded silk drapes, or absolutely nothing at all.

Having nothing on your windows scares a lot of people. Of course I'm not recommending that you leave the bathroom window that faces your neighbour unadorned, no no no... I only recommend "naked" windows when you have lovely trim around the window, a beautiful view with adequate privacy, and when you want to highlight a beautiful fixture hanging in front of the window. I have had windows in my stair landings that I have had a lot of fun with. To start with, I left them unadorned. Then I made sure we hung a great light fixture. Now the fun part...for festive holidays like Halloween and Christmas I always made sure to display something really great in the window. At Halloween I set up a really creepy, authentic witch in the landing in front of the window. I backlit her and she was a hit with the kids! At Christmas, I put a beautiful tree in the window; decorated and lit, it was a real focal point from the outside.


So you see, a window treatment can be something altogether different, something you change with the season, be it curtains or objects. I remember seeing in a Country Home magazine a woman's shop that she hung little corn brooms hanging from a rod, staggered at different lengths. It looked amazing! Another idea for a child's space, is to hang their little dresses all bunched together on a rod; or take a simple blind, punch a hole in the bottom and hang a little toy or treasure from it. Allow your imagination to take the lead. The only "rule" I'd like to pass on is to never hang tab tops with the tabs showing to the street. You can never go wrong with hanging your rod several inches above the trim. Let the length of your curtains be your guide. Also, really consider whether you want to include sheers. Drapes or curtains alone are much more current. Also, sheers block a lot of the light, which may or may not be your goal.

All in all, choose your window treatments wisely, but remember, it is not a life or death decision...a girl can always change her mind, can't she??
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...