Good and White...


Look at this beautiful kitchen. You can see it for yourself in the latest issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine. I had started to feel a bit jaded and feeling like if you had seen one white kitchen, you'd seen them all. Not so! This kitchen was a rework on a budget (although an admittedly cushioned $9000 one...which includes some appliances). The cabinets were simply given a fresh paint job, hardware changed out; but the real improvement in my eyes, is the new apron sink and the butcher block countertop (from Ikea no less!!). I love the contrast of the butcher block against the white, and I was so relieved to see that the homeowner decided against the more predictable granite or soap stone. Don't get me wrong, I like both if used in the right space, but the wood is so much more authentic to the vintage style of the kitchen. To me, granite is a modern look; very glossy and expensive looking. I think a vintage style kitchen should reflect what was used in the era the look comes from. Soapstone is lovely, too, but it definitely can dictate a certain colour palate and is not as warm a material as wood. The use of wood in this space evokes a more cozy feel, even with the use of white. The white on the cabinetry is a warm white, and the earth tone of the tiled floor helps contribute to the homey feel.

I think my favorite element in this kitchen is the painted beadboard. Yes, it is the cheaper version, sold in sheets...but I have always preferred this option to the "real" beadboard as there are no knots in the wood to deal with and the look is smooth and perfect. The painted surface was done in an olive green, which has a heritage feel to it. The open shelving really stands out with such a great backdrop and even the stainless steel appliances are warmed up by the warm tones of the paint choices in this kitchen. Yes, I have seen many perfectly attractive white kitchens, but this is the first to make me think, "I want that". It is definitely white done right!!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...