Blowing in the breeze...


I have had this post "on hold" until I was ready to finish writing it and find some good clothesline pictures. Then, the strangest occurrence happened. One of my favorite magazines (and I have many) arrived today, and the editor had written about clotheslines and how much she loves them, too! What's that about great minds?...just kidding!!


I have always loved clotheslines. I know that sounds strange, especially to those who hate laundry, but I really have! As a little girl, I would watch my mum hang out clothes and think, "I could do that better"... I thought she needed to have more of a plan and I didn't like that she didn't hang them in a pretty line. Her line was haphazard (sorry Mum!) but considering she was hanging out clothes for eight people, I was wise enough to keep my lips zipped! She wasn't a big fan of me helping her, as I took too long and used up the clothespins too quickly.

My very first grown-up clothesline was hung from the very first home my husband and I built. The line was was huge, and for some reason kept coming off the pulley and/or clothes kept getting wrapped up in it. I think the post even fell over a few times as we were too cheap, or dumb, to sink it into some cement! My second clothesline was one that was pre-existing from (and I'm guessing) the 50's . It was at our old farmhouse in our old town and it was not pulley style, but rather the type you prop in the middle with an old, tall stick. I think this one was my favorite one because it was low enough for my kids to play peekaboo with me in it and I have a funny memory about it. One day, I came outside to hear my then four-year old son crying...wailing actually. I flew towards him, convinced he was hurt somehow. Instead, I found him pointing up at the clothesline, crying. Confused, I looked in that direction only to see his teddy bear, "Bear" hanging from the line where I had pinned him that morning. I said to him, "Why are you crying? Do you want to play with him?" His mournful response was," NO, but get him down, his ears are in pain!!!" I realized how pathetic poor Bear must have looked to my little boy, hanging as it was with its ears pinned to the line!! That is one of my favorite memories, and I could not believe my luck when I stumbled upon this picture of a bear on a clothesline.

Fast forward to now, and I am actually stumped as to where I am going to put a clothesline on our little, meager lot. The pool deck is taking up most of the yard and just when I need it the most, my clothesline is likely going to be puny!! It will no doubt always be full of beachtowels, so I will get little opportunity to hang that perfect line of clothes...



We all have our quirks when it comes to what and how we hang out our clothes. I personally am not a big fan of hanging out (ahem) undergarments on a clothesline. Not only is that too much information, but it takes up too much time and too much line. I tend to hang the clothes out by owner. Sophie's pretty clothes get hung out with extra care because they look so pretty hanging just so. Nothing, to me, looks prettier on a line than pretty sheets and teatowels and/or aprons. Once I get my clothesline up, I will post a picture of my vintage apron collection, which, by the way, I never wear (although I am a slob when I cook, I don't want to dirty them!!).
Until that time, I will continue to overstuff my dryer and watch my electric meter spin round and round... Happy drying!!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...