Out with the old and in with the new...or not!












As some of you may know, my husband and I have built a few homes in our time. We have enjoyed the building process (not the moving process) and it has satisfied our creative streaks and settled our itchy feet. We are, however, settled into our present home quite nicely and are digging our heels in for a much needed break.

Thrown into the building mix was two renovations of older homes. One was basically cosmetic changes while the other involved more extensive renovations. I have had two homes during my married life that truly felt like home. One was an old Dutch Colonial in Baddeck, and the other is my present home. Both have felt like home for very different reasons... the older home felt like a place my (someday) adult children would love returning to, while my present home feels like a cozy place to rest awhile, enjoy my kids growing up, and take a breather.


I have a love affair of sorts with older homes. I love that they often brim with character and I think they are true family homes. Nooks and crannies, hiding spots, attics and beautiful staircases are some of the treasures they have to offer. They often boast detailed trim work, fireplaces and french doors with glass knobs...the stuff of my decorating dreams. What I don't love are the basements, strange bugs that appear in funny places, worries about the wiring and toilets that don't flush like they should. Small closets and painted-shut windows are more headaches that often come with living in an older home. Of course, you can always re-wire, replace the old plumbing, and even lift the old girl up and put in a new basement! That is where getting the house for the right price and having some working capital comes in...


If I am sounding like I am a "new house girl only", I am not. Yes, new homes are blessed with safe and efficient plumbing, wiring, dry basements, and a sparkling clean feel that can be hard to get in an old house (at least not without a lot of elbow grease). The problem is, the character is just not there...Sure you can put all kinds of reproduction-style trims, mouldings, and cabinetry, but you have to have an awfully large budget. The fact of the matter is, and I've said this before, we have sacrificed space and functionality for style. Builders are constructing big box houses that are stripped of architecture (unless you call rounded corners architecture) and leaving behind the craftsmanship of our ancestors. That is not a criticism of builders, it is just a reflection of the times we live in. Everything has to be done as quick as possible and new homes are being cranked out as though they are on a factory line. We add a bit of beadboard and maybe even some salvaged materials and hope we have replicated some of the style of the older homes. Sometimes it works, but often it doesn't.

New or old, there are a lot of beautiful homes out there, just as there are "new home people" and "old home people". I am caught in the middle. Although I love the creature comforts of a new home, I don't think they are as comforting as a renovated older home. You can show me all the new homes you want, I will still always be drawn to the older homes and I know that is where I will likely end up someday. I'll be one of those renovators trying to bring just enough new into the home while retaining the charm and beauty that comes with the old. I just don't think you can recreate what came before us... In my town, there are many beautiful old homes I covet. I can't, however, think of any one new home I would want to trade for. They are beautiful to look at, but I know I wouldn't say, "this is where I imagine raising my children and hosting my future grandchildren." I love my present home, but it is definitely not my forever home. I will enjoy it while I am here, and I appreciate its newness, but somewhere out there is my last home!

Of course, it's all a matter of taste. I will say, no matter what era your home comes from, enjoy the pros and either fix or ignore the cons. No house is perfect forever...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...