picnickin'

I am a huge fan of picnics. I think it stems from the fact that the only picnics I went on as a child ended up being at the side of the road in the middle of a stand of trees ( my father could never find a good enough spot, so we'd drive aimlessly on until we'd be at the end of the proverbial road). We'd fire up the Hibachi, eat half cooked hotdogs and sit on a pointy tree stump which, if we were really lucky, would be inhabited by ants! A Norman Rockwell picnic it was not!!

When I met my husband, we'd do as many day trips as our student budgets would allow, so that would lead to having our fair share of picnics. I loved the spontaneity of it all, and we'd always find a pretty spot to eat and enjoy the surrounding scenery. Of course at that time, I would try to impress him with delicious, perfectly made sandwiches, fresh fruit, bottles of Orangina, and if we were lucky, some baked goods from our beloved farmers market.
When I had my two eldest children, we were living in a tiny village in N.S. and there wasn't a whole lot to do with kids there. We lived in an old Dutch Colonial style house that always seemed to need something done to it, so our money was eaten up by home renovation (albeit cosmetic). Trying to entertain two small active boys was sometimes a challenge. Although we would frequently take them on picnics when we were sight-seeing, the best picnics of all happened on our front step or under the shade of the three tall pine trees on our property. I'd bring out the peanut butter and crackers, cut-up apple, and something sweet to drink (they thought cranberry cocktail was pop) and they'd always eat more than if we had been cooped up inside. We'd have the best little chats and my youngest son would point out the "boids" and his older brother would tell me all about how Sir Topham Hat had scolded Gordon on that morning's episode of Thomas the Tank Engine. To this day they remember those picnics.

Once my kids started school, as soon as Spring arrived, I'd surprise them by picking them up at school to take them for a quick, lunchtime picnic. Nothing fancy, just the usual lunch fare, but we'd go down to the waterfront and eat and then throw rocks in the water. Even if it is just fast food takeout, it still tastes better when we are sitting at a picnic table. An added bonus is that they seem to open up more about their day as nothing feels forced and the only distractions are the occasional person going by or a "boid". We have only picnicked once so far this Spring, but I think I've just inspired myself to pack the old picnic blanket in the trunk. It's time again for a lunch time surprise. Who knows, maybe I'll see you there...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...