Random thoughts...

Someone asked me the other day how I was able to come up with daily topics to write about. I told them that although it can be hard at times, I am blessed (or cursed) with a head full of random thoughts. I think all the time and therefore my memory is bad. I truly think it is because I am a creative person that my brain never sleeps. I notice details in everything (which can make driving hazardous), and when I go past a house I am looking at the little things more than the big picture. What is the lighting like, what colour flowers have they used in the garden, what is their door knocker like? See?! Random thoughts pinging around in my brain.


The other day, I went to a local second-hand store where you can find great vintage stuff, although at a somewhat inflated price. I could feel my eyes scanning everything and burning things into my brain so I could go back for a second look. Shopping that way is almost tiring. Normally, in somewhere like a small decor shop, I can "quick scan" and decide on the spot if it is worthy of an in-depth perusal. Larger spots like Winners deserve an aisle by aisle shopping experience as, again, I am searching for my wish list items (some of which I don't even know I want).


On my trip yesterday to this second-hand store, I scored one of the top-ten things I have been looking for over the years: a vintage tricycle with a wooden seat. It is drop-dead adorable and is mine...all mine!!! Have a look...isn't it lovely?!?

I thought I'd leave you with some of the random decorating tips floating around in my head. They are my tips, not for everyone, and certainly not set in stone. I like tips...not rules...


1. When decorating a room and you have everything looking perfect, throw one imperfect item into the mix to make it feel like home. Perfection is boring...and intimidating. For example, I love this lamp. I'm not sure where I found this picture but to the person who owns it, you are a decorating genius!

2. Adding a little bit of black to a room is like throwing on a little black dress. Classy, understated, and always acceptable.


3. Always consider curb appeal. Approach your home like a potential buyer. There has to be something to lure you inside. Do sweat the small stuff...mailboxes, house numbers, door mats, light fixtures, flowers, a little spot to sit...


4. Don't overload on wood. Great wood is beautiful, but especially in a kitchen, look for ways to lighten things up a bit. Curtains, flooring, dishes, lighting...too much darkness will eventually depress you. Don't be afraid to paint wood. If it is bringing you down, lighten it up. Just because it is wood, doesn't mean it is beautiful. Painting wood trim and wainscoting can lift your home to new heights. Do it ...honestly, you'll love it!

5. Accessorize! Great decor can go a long way in distracting people from the downfalls in a room. Just don't clutter up the space. If you think you're done, stand back and remove one thing...unless you're a minimalist of course...

6. Although they keep saying wallpaper is coming back, I really don't believe them. It's not that there aren't some beautiful papers out there, it's just that I don't want to strip walls when they change their minds!


7. Always create a place in your garden for YOU. Bring out a chair and small table and place it under a shade tree. Plunk yourself down whenever you can and enjoy a cup of coffee and something good to read. What good is your home, if you never enjoy it?



8. Don't aim for magazine perfection. It is too hard to maintain and you will waste your life cleaning, plumping and sweeping, when really, your life is all around you. Your husband, kids, friends, will thank you for it.

9. Don't think because you don't have oodles of money, you can't have a pretty home. When I was a nursing student, I decorated the shabbiest of apartments with flea market finds, cast-offs, and paint. My landlord was so impressed, he left a pretty hanging flower basket for me outside my back door. Use your creativity and reinvent what you have or can find, that is within your budget. Someone will always have bigger and better than you, but I believe more talent is needed and shown when you are making do and putting your heart into your decorating. Anyone can copy a room out of a magazine...



10. Do see my tag line at the bottom of my blog page. I mean that with all my heart. It is always better to appreciate what you have than to pine for what you don't.

...Do you see why my memory is affected by all these thoughts floating around my head?


***...A funny note about the word random. My eldest son has always had a habit of mispronouncing or misusing words. Well, he has taken to saying, "That's so random" and throwing random in where it has no connection to what he is talking about. So now, whenever I hear the word, I chuckle to myself at his innocence. My word garbler lives on!!!!***
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...