$$$$ My Priceless "Art" Collection $$$$




As I have mentioned before, much of the "art" on my walls are family photos, especially those of my kids. I'm not a big fan of dime a dozen pictures you find in big-box stores or decor shops. I don't mean that in the snobby sense but I just don't believe in hanging a picture I don't really love just for the sake of filling a space. That's not to say I have much in the way of real art. Money and selection have always gotten in the way of me starting any kind of "collection". Instead, I have relied on art my kids have created and pieces I have picked up at fleamarkets and garage sales. Also, I would rather stare at a picture of one of my children as a baby or being natural, than just any old picture. Someday I will invest in art by real artists, but even then, it will likely be work from up and coming artists rather than anything that hints at too much formality.

My sister has some wonderful artwork. She has some very talented friends and also scours ebay and yard sales looking for a piece that "speaks" to her. Also, her kids have done some beautiful watercolours that I have been strongly hinting at acquiring for too many years (hopefully this hint will work). She has a knack for choosing just the right piece and her home reflects that. Art for art's sake as opposed to for pretension...


The stories behind the photos here are (in no particular order): my youngest son as a baby looking out the window at some birds. I love his sweet little profile and this picture will keep him forever as a baby in my memory; the framed top of a pillowcase done in redwork that says, "Sweet Dreams"...perfect; a picture of poppies on a stretcher frame that I got on my Mother's Day trip to the Christmas Tree Shop. I just loved the colours and the price; a portrait of my daughter that I took when she was four. I have it framed with two others like it (but with different natural expressions); a vintage picture of a boy scout and his dog I found at Value Village; a picture her brother coloured of them both in the tub; and a photo of my boys cuddled up on a chair...they have always been the closest of brothers.



So there you have it! Just a few of my favorites from my "collection". I hope I will always keep this unsophisticated approach to art as it is me. I like things to be relaxed, simple and pleasant to look at. I will never have to insure any of it, and most of it will remain on my walls somewhere for a very long time...and when the time comes when I can begin to make some real purchases, I will enjoy every minute of it!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...