A Room With A View













I know a lot of people with little girls. I came across these great photos and decided I'd share some more room ideas for decorating a little girl's space. I tried not to focus on only pink rooms, but there sure are a lot of pink rooms out there! I was thinking back to the rooms of my girlhood and I think I have always gravitated towards pink. I know I certainly had my share of seventies decor, but once I found my feet, I think I had pretty nice rooms. Of course, in those days, wallpaper... the busier the better, was all the rage. I remember some of my rooms being more of a kaleidoscope of colour than anything...


I often marvel how times have certainly changed since I was a girl. The overall attention we pay to our children is unbelievable. Even with regards to decorating, when did it become the norm to give so much thought to our kid's rooms? All of a sudden it has become very important to give our kids these beautiful, stimulating personal spaces...play rooms, swing sets that have grown in size to monumental proportions, playhouses (hey...there's nothing wrong with those!!!), and even personal "home gyms" geared up to our little monkeys with mini rock walls, gymnastics mats, etc., etc.

Is there anything wrong with any of it?? Are we just pampering our kids or are we indulging our own childhood fantasies? It seems like the more money we have, the more we spend on creating this fantasy land in our homes and backyards for our little angels...

My final word is ( and I'm no expert), it is all o.k. as long as we are doing it for the right reasons, we can afford it, and we aren't doing it to make up for the times we are too busy to just enjoy our kids and what they have to "offer". I have been guilty of trying to create these "perfect" play spaces for my kids to enjoy, when all they really wanted to do was to lay at my feet in the kitchen with a toy car or play with their toy kitchen, which by the way, always entertained them better if it was in the kitchen alongside Mummy and/or Daddy. I've tripped over many a small child playing at my feet...
The times, "they are a changin'..." and we roll with them and adapt and decorate!! It is definitely lots of fun to create these beautiful spaces for our kids, and we really do enter into it with the best of intentions. Have fun decorating these fanciful rooms...but be aware... in some cases they just might never actually play or sleep (right Wendy?!!) too often in these magical settings. To kids, home is where the heart is...and you are the heart, or center, of their little worlds...!!
**Tomorrow, I'll continue this talk about playrooms and outdoor play spaces...and show you some great boy's rooms. **
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...